Author Topic: Inconsiderate  (Read 3155 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Inconsiderate
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 21:24:24 »
I'd use caltrops myself for definite if it kept happening. Get a piece of old planking, and get it well dirty so it looks as though it's been sitting about on allotments for years. Hammer some decent-sized nails in from both sides, so whichever way it lies, it has nails sticking out about three inches apart. Put it where his wheels always go, and leave the rest to nature. They used to stop cavalry the same way.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 22:00:44 »
I'm quite horrified by some of the suggested 'SOLUTIONS' which are just as bad as the original offence.

If you know your neighbour is responsible then speak to him about it. If you have a committee and your neighbour is difficult go down that route. If he's a problem they'll know!!

There are loads of ways of dealing with this without behaving like a b****tard yourself.

I 100% agree, yes the guy did the wrong thing but planks with nails in? are we in Iraq? talk to the bloke.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 22:23:07 »
I would buy a tank ,hire a team of ex SAS and head for his plot with The great Escape playing through loudspeakers and then...................Only kidding ;D ;D ;D

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 22:27:36 »
 ;D ;D ;D

sorry...not funny for you I know but I have a weird sense of humour....forgive me  ::)

I'd be for the you didn't see the g*t who drove over my prepared bed the other day mate did ya?...wanna string him/her up by...blah blah ;) diplomatic enough to get message across your NOT a happy bunny ;)

if he is so insensitive to do it again after that i'd use the plank n nails :D

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 22:28:04 »
I'm quite horrified by some of the suggested 'SOLUTIONS' which are just as bad as the original offence.

If you know your neighbour is responsible then speak to him about it. If you have a committee and your neighbour is difficult go down that route. If he's a problem they'll know!!

There are loads of ways of dealing with this without behaving like a b****tard yourself.

most of the suggestions were tongue in cheek, we all know that talking and committee is the sensible route, but thats not entertaining discussion really  ;D ;)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 23:27:22 »
Land mines?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:12 »
Heyho,
                Why don't you go and get yourself some fencing posts and some rope from a merchants and put it round your lotty, a peaceful end I would hope :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 08:14:33 »
I think those methods mentioned are all tongue in cheek.

I would find out where he lives and go and let down his car tyres......not burst them,wouldnt want to upset him  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 09:11:08 »
I suppose I should be thankful mine just gets walked over - although that did quite enough damage to newly emerged beans and baby currant bushes last summer. My plot is at the far end from the main gate, and one or two people were cutting in through a gap in the hedge, rather than walk round. I tried making nice clear paths around the edge, and large notices asking them not to cut through, but that didn't work. So the gooseberry prunings were all stacked in the gap. Had less trouble since. The council were supposed to be closing the gap last year.

I would suggest you take photos of your freshly dug bed, then if he does it again, you'll have evidence to show your committee that it was a worked area.
Hope you get it sorted out.

Sally

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:24 »
I agree with grawrc, some of these things are quite underhanded.
On the other hand, I quite agree that it is hard to confront someone. I think the first suggestion is better, make it known that something had happened, but don't talk as if you suspect that person. That might be a more subtle way of getting your message across (although you might hint that the planks with nails will appear if it persists  :)
Actually that sounds like a very dangerous idea! Knowing me I would fall on the bloody nails meself...
Maybe you could say that if you find out who it is, you will take your cat down their plot to pee all over the crops, set rats free in their compost and put spider nests in their shed ha ha
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 07:50:18 »
Hi all,

The council here will provide collections for metal, glass and plastic rubbish taken straight off the plot when asked. As soon as somebody arranges a collection everyone adds to the pile which clears the whole site for a while.
You might try that, and the bin men will take tied black bags left at the entrance to the site as part of their weekly round which helps prevent rubbish becoming a problem.

I made an earth bank along the edge where people drive and bring trailers down to their plots. I used some of the stacked up turves when I first cleared the plot and planted it with spring bulbs. Recently I`ve added clumps of clover which has taken and prickly hedge cuttings which have also rooted. It looks very nice and provides a barrier that people don`t drive over.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 08:17:07 »
has anyone seen the film the Goonies ? Well you could set up some really ellaborate trap involving cannon balls, rope and big rolling balls of rock. I just have an image of the guy running away form a boulder frantically trying to keep hold of his sack of rubbish.  ;D

Easy to laugh i know. The guy next to me does something very similar. It just gets returned to him and i when I see him ask him not to. He is ok now.

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 09:33:46 »
Hopefully the situation is sorted. A five foot high post drilled well into the ground at the offending corner of my plot (and which has made a happy perching ground for the local robin) then a row of raspberry canes coupled with three Lidl special fruit trees (all supported with posts) has made it clear that it is now the boundary of my plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal