Author Topic: Rhubarb Insectisde & Cabbages  (Read 4210 times)

topman

• Not So New ...
Rhubarb Insectisde & Cabbages
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:48 »
is it safe to use Rhubarb Insectisde on cabbages for whitefly and how often can it be used.
You live and learn.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Rhubarb Insectisde & Cabbages
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:16:02 »
is it safe to use Rhubarb Insectisde on cabbages for whitefly and how often can it be used.

I used it all last year. Any rhubarb leaves I get I put in a bin full of water to ferment and then spray my brassicas. It helps keep butterflies away as well.

But beware, it absolutely stinks to high heaven!
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:49:38 »
you could try garlic water - found that to be good in the g/h last year - the smell makes you feel hungry though  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 13:26:28 »
Just wanted point out...that home made insecticides are agains law...Eu regulations again.. ::)
So any recipies changed are strickly for theoretical purposes only... ;D ;)
...we do not want to encourage illegal activities... ;) ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 13:28:31 »
Just another thought...I use rhubarb leaves as a mulch under my gooseberry bushes...and they never suffer with sawfly damage... ;)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 15:57:54 »
Just wanted point out...that home made insecticides are agains law...Eu regulations again.. ::)

But I'm not European, I'm English!
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 17:01:11 »
and isn't the law to do with concocting nasty chemical insecticides not 'other' home brews such as these mentioned  :-\

two sheds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 17:03:37 »
Hi Topman

Off topic, but where have you got your alllotment? I am up the road in Forest Gate....

regards

Julie

topman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 16:51:03 »
Hi Julie
I've got my allotment at the Leyes Rd site top end of Prince Regents Lane oppisite Prince Regent station.
         JOHN
You live and learn.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 20:46:10 »
So any recipies changed are strickly for theoretical purposes only... ;D ;)
...we do not want to encourage illegal activities... ;) ;)

And also (though its nitpicking) its illegal to use washing up liquid as a spray for greenfly, as that is not the purpose of the product and the powers that be have not tested it for effects / after effects etc etc etc ::) ::) ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 20:58:44 »
and isn't the law to do with concocting nasty chemical insecticides not 'other' home brews such as these mentioned  :-\

You would think so...but It does include home brews...  :-\
Last year there was article in one of the gardening magazines about insecticides and they included some recipes for home brews..with added note.."not to be used,  just mentioned as example"... ;)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 21:09:24 »
I don't use it as an insecticide, I compost the leaves in a bin full of water and use it as a foliar feed  ::)

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 11:04:35 »
Ah the Rhubarb is a wonderfull plant,
I boil the leaves up and strain them when cooled bottled up and dilute down and spray. Just make sure all utensils are old and not used in the kitchen unless you scrub them well.
works on white fly for fuchisa's and greens,
also a good wormer for hens.
EU have too many rules and regs lets get real, not all gardeners are rolling in money to buy the sprays that dont work?
Best of all its Organic you know whats in it and costs nothing. If you havent a plant someone you know will have it and give you a few leaves.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:01 »
Ah the Rhubarb is a wonderfull plant,
I boil the leaves up and strain them when cooled bottled up and dilute down and spray. Just make sure all utensils are old and not used in the kitchen unless you scrub them well.
works on white fly for fuchisa's and greens,
also a good wormer for hens.
EU have too many rules and regs lets get real, not all gardeners are rolling in money to buy the sprays that dont work?
Best of all its Organic you know whats in it and costs nothing. If you havent a plant someone you know will have it and give you a few leaves.

WHen you say you use it on "greens" do you mean lettuce? Is there any danger of residue when you eat the lettuce considering the oxalic acid in the leaves?  How many rhubarb leaves would you put in say a quart of water and how much do you dilute it?
I'm asking for complete directions cuz I plan to USE it in the Land of the Free ! ;) ;D
(the more I read about EU regs on this forum the scarier it gets :o)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 14:40:13 »
A lot of these natural brews are illegal, I believe it is because of lobbying from big industrial groups who want to nitpick over organic methods. So nettle tea (Called purin d'orties here in France and widely used by country people) and other concoctions like that are banned because their effects have not been thoroughly investigated.
Certainly seems like a storm in a teacup, then again often for decades we use something that turns out to be harmful without realizing it... I think the EU gets a lot of bad press in UK, often not always true, but I feel they often make use of too much bureaucratic zeal. It si hard to get 25 odd countries to all agree on something too, don't forget!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 16:27:24 »
I personally wouldn't use it on lettuce. Brassicas spend a lot longer in the ground and so the effects of the spray have longer to wear off. I suppose it'll be OK if you wash them well. Try it out and if your still posting next year we'll know it's safe :)

I put all my leaves in a dustbin full of water and leave them for a few weeks. I don't use a spray or dilute it, I just water it on with a can and keep topping the bin up when it gets low.

Land of the free eh? I've declared independence  on my three plots and I'm not telling the EU the combination to get through the gates :)

Besides, they didn't do bugger all when all the shed's got broken into last week into so they 'ain't going to worry about my rhubarb.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 19:46:59 »
I personally wouldn't use it on lettuce. Brassicas spend a lot longer in the ground and so the effects of the spray have longer to wear off. I suppose it'll be OK if you wash them well. Try it out and if your still posting next year we'll know it's safe :)

I put all my leaves in a dustbin full of water and leave them for a few weeks. I don't use a spray or dilute it, I just water it on with a can and keep topping the bin up when it gets low.

Land of the free eh? I've declared independence  on my three plots and I'm not telling the EU the combination to get through the gates :)

Besides, they didn't do bugger all when all the shed's got broken into last week into so they 'ain't going to worry about my rhubarb.
LOL!  Tell me, how do you keep up with THREE plots?? Must be like keeping up with triplets.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 20:13:50 »
LOL!  Tell me, how do you keep up with THREE plots?? Must be like keeping up with triplets.

I've been a foster parent for 18 years. Once I had 6 all under the age of 4 so triplets would be a doddle. And we used to take them all camping every week. Even now I have 12, 11, 8 and a 7 year old, I've never had less than 4 to look after in the past 18 years. The 7 year old we got at 7 hours old straight from hospital and ended up adopting him.

As for the allotments, hard work getting on top of them but once it's done it's not too hard to keep them clean. Whatever I need to do when I go I always make sure I have 15/20 minutes with the hoe.

The third plot I took on out of guilt. I got my first two plots clean (See my before and after photo's) and ready to plant and felt guilty about sitting in my shed drinking tea with nothing to do... And that's the truth.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal