The Show > Sunflowers

Old seeds dead or alive?

(1/2) > >>

Powderfan:
Hi Guys and Gals

I have been given a packet of sunflower seeds from a family friend and potted them up but its been about 2 weeks now and nothing seems to have happened.  The packet is probably about 2 years old and was kept on a window sill in direct sun for that time.  The printing has faded now so  I have no instructions and expected germination times etc.  I planted them about 3/4 inch below surface and compost has been kept moist and warm on a windowsill.

So what do you think?  Are my seeds a lost cause or should I wait a little longer to see if they germinate?

Thanks

Michael

Deb P:
It doesn't sound as if the seeds were kept in the most ideal conditions, but I would give them a bit longer before writing them off. My sunflowers are in my cold greenhouse and just showing some signs of germination after almost two weeks.

Powderfan:
Hi Deb

Thanks for the heads up.  Sounds like I ought to hang on for naother week or so.  It's not a massive problem as this weekend I helped the mothering law pot some sunflowers she bought.  I recon there should be a spare or two I could borrow on a permanent basis.

Michael

posie:
Sunflower seeds I bought the other day said a germination time of 2 - 3 weeks, so hang on a bit. Having said that, they must like my windowsill because they poked up within 4 days!

artichoke:
Buying books in Germany last week, I found, when I unpacked them, that 5 free sunflower seeds were included (symbolic?) so I put them (the seeds) in a plastic pot with water and damp rags inside a plastic bag in the airing cupboard, as I do with all seeds. Two days later they are putting out big fat roots.

I don't like to take any trouble with seeds that are not viable. If they put out roots I plant them in pots with compost, and if they don't, I don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version