Author Topic: Im only growing 4 tomato plants this year!  (Read 3906 times)

compo49

• Half Acre
Re: Im only growing 4 tomato plants this year!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 00:20:10 »
I'm growing tumbling tom. .gardeners delight. golden sunrise (i think)  tigerella.  moneymaker. tried san marzano and another plum type can't remember type but not much success last year    not enough sun grew them outside no green house then.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 08:12:57 »
I've got vast numbers of seedlings, mainly because I've had variable results with home-saved seed in the past, and it's all come up well this time. I'll grow about 40-50 on, and hope we avoid early outbreaks of blight this year.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 09:12:14 »
I've just added up.....I'm growing 54 different varieites, I'm sure I didn't plan to grow that many, but there have been so many interesting seeds in seed swaps etc! I'm growing a load for our lottie plant sales as well so any I can't fit in will go to that. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it........ ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 14:24:35 »
Deb - Why don't you try 3 more and then you can call them Heinz!  Flipping eck girl - that is a load of tomatoes!

I have grown loads of plants of about 8 different varieties - I intend to sell a few plants outside the front door to cover the cost of seed/hen house etc.

Hopefully then my lottie will be self supporting except for the hard work which is 100% down to me!

Old Bird

;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 15:40:50 »
lol last night I started to repot my tomato seedlings and quickly realised that I didn't have enough potting mix with me! In one little pot, 6 seedlings were growing strong! so I guess I will end up with over 20 plants!! But I might give a few away and there are always some tragic ends  ;D
I cook them into sauce and bottle them, yum yum, make salsa with peppers and chilli. And eat loads during summer. Giving them away is easy if they are garden grown, so yummy.
I have grown Marmande, Gartenperle cherry type and Harzfeuer round ones, they have all germinated really well on my son's windowsill!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 17:45:17 »
I think I might just buy tomato plants this year. I just can't be bothered with the pots all over the house - the younger generation make enough mess without plants....

I think I need a holiday?*!**? ::) ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 18:08:58 »
54 varieties, Deb - how many of each?

All outside??

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 18:17:20 »
54 varieties, Deb - how many of each?

All outside??

Errr, between 2 -3 of each sort, all in mini greenhouses inside my cold greenhouse. I can fit 36 plants fully grown tomatoes in my home greenhouse, plan to have 16 outdoor determinate plants at the lottie, perhaps a few as a trial in the little lottie greenhouse (didn't try tomatoes in that last year as can't get down there every day to water), the rest for the various allotment plant sales.

Then there are the pepper and chilli plants....... :-[
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 19:09:06 »
And I thought I was bad Debp! I went to Wilkinsons today for a seatbelt harness for the dogs, came out with 5 seed trays, 6 strawberry plants and yet more tomato seeds! I now have Minibel, tumbling tom, golden sunrise, red pear and costoluto fiorentino - no idea what any of them taste like but they look funky! I need to stop now....... somebody help me!  :D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 12:06:31 »
I'm going to have 4x Sungolds, 2x Sweet Million and 2x Jelly Bean in the greenhouse this year.

Outside going to try Gardeners Delight, but with a Scottish climate they probably wont grow too well.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 16:04:13 »
I thinknI will as well. 4 of each type i can get my hands on.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 17:34:40 »
I'll be growing 4-5 each of the reliable ones (Clear Pink Early, Taxi, Prima, Stupice and buckbee 50 Day) to provide my main crop, and a couple each of the others to see what they do out of doors.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 17:36:21 »
Oooooo I've just discovered another 8 varieties I haven't heard of rofl - i must not buy more, i must not buy more, i must not buy more!!!  ;D ;D ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal