Author Topic: Grit advice  (Read 1593 times)

gt568

• Not So New ...
Grit advice
« on: April 04, 2008, 20:48:51 »
Just got 2 chickens for eggs and I'm curious about the grit. I've got layers pellets for them, so they need extra grit. Do I mix the grit in the pellets or just put a bowl of grit in the run?

Also whats the difference between mash and pellets as well.

Many Thanks.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Grit advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 22:31:42 »
You can mix it or leave it seperate.   If it is the latter, they may not bother with it as much and just stick to the pellets bowl.   Mine is all mixed together in a blue barrel. I do not add other bags until it is totally empty to ensure it is all used and does not go out of date. The mix I use for my hens is about:

65% Pellets
25% Mixed Corn
10% Grit

I also throw in some handfuls of mixed corn on its own from time to time.

Mash or pellets is personal preference.   With mash it needs to be mixed with water, warm in winter.   Mash apparently takes the birds longer to eat, so lasts longer in the food tray. (Does not look so to me when you watch them eat it). 

In winter I reduced the dried food by about 30% and made up the difference with warm mash as a treat. My OH and family members took the mick a bit saying I was too sentimental. This was not so. It was a case of looking after my investment and ensuring I still got a good production of eggs in the cold spell.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 22:34:26 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:44:40 »
Personally I put the grit in another small feeder so I know how much they've been taking. Also I scatter grit around their run so they have to find it.... a kind of boredom reliever for them.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:33:45 »
I have kep hens for 20 years on and off, feeding them with layers pellets and scraps and never bought grit!

Never had problems either!

Unfortunately I am in a new house which is unsuitable for poultry, and if I kept them on the allotment they would end up in some scallys scouse.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:16 »
Hi gt568!  Wow what a name!

When I have kept chooks in the past I always gave them a small bowl of grit/oyster shell mix.  Purely from the angle that if they did need extra for shell making or grinding their food then they would have it.

In the summer when they are given greens and corn and the like they won't possibly want as much of the pellets or mash in which case they won't then get their quota of grit if they don't eat it!

It is so cheap that I don't begrudge them it!

Old Bird
 ;D

KimT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 18:15:09 »
I have plastic plant pots pegged to the ground full of grit so the girls can just help them selves.
Love my hens and all that's henny!
www.thepoultrygarden.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal