Author Topic: Its hard to get an allotment  (Read 3183 times)

albacore1854

• Half Acre
Re: Its hard to get an allotment
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 20:11:32 »
Ours are typically 300sq metres with about 10% being 150sq metres, so further division would be pointless.

Proud to be a Trelawny man!

powerspade

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 20:55:38 »
Anyone living at the top end of the Rhymney Valley needing a plot?
We have just one plot become available this week.contact me for details

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 06:50:34 »
Try the link below for details of the legal situation.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1908/cukpga_19080036_en_1

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 20:41:42 »
Perseverence is the answer.

Unless the system at your local allotment is strict, then weekly visits, getting to know people by asking advice and generally showing great enthusiasm may lead to the offer of a neglected plot.

You could always chivvy the society by pointing out plots that are hardly cultivated which is against the rules.

Just keep at it as mentioned on my page :-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments3_finding_an_allotment.html

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 12:04:39 »
Hi everybody.

I am very wary of this topic as I don't know chapter and verse of the law and would not be up to quoting it.  I am sure that as you say "by law councils have to provide a site"  but in practice this is becoming less and less possible. 

I am thinking central London.  There just isn't the land available at any price.  I cannot imagine councils spending many thousands of pounds on fields that they can then rent to allotmenteers at £25 per year or so per plot including water. 

Who will fund the purchase of the plots - certainly not the rents that are charged and then the local people that pay their council tax to the Councils will start kicking off if they are "subsidising" new allotments.

I don't automatically knock Council's as they can only do so much.  I do agree that they ought to be more in touch with the space that they already have got but I cannot imagine many will be stumping up many thousands of pounds to set up many new allotment sites.

Good luck to any that want them - but these are my views!

Old Bird

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal