Author Topic: Fresh manure in raised beds  (Read 1051 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Fresh manure in raised beds
« on: April 05, 2008, 19:22:45 »
I gave decided to use my raised beds later int he year for my squashes and courgettes ect.  I have put them down at the allotment and put in three black bags of fresh manure ( with straw in it aswell) then covered it with newspapers and then my soil on top whish is a bit like clay at the moment, then covered with black out sheets.  Should I have alos put fresh manure on top of the clay soil aswell so they worms can drag it through or leave as is.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Fresh manure in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 19:42:46 »
I would have put the manure on top of the soil, to encourage the clay soil to break down.  sorry that's not the answer you were looking for ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 20:00:28 »
You have done ok...but if you have some spare compost I would spread that on the top and lightly fork it in...put covers back on, and when your planting time comes, your clay soil should have softener/broken for something bit easier to handle.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 20:14:46 »
Quite agree. Nothing wrong with what you've done so far, but if you can get any more manure spread it on the top of the soil. If you're growing squashes don't bother to dig it in, just plant through it.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 20:20:15 »
brilliant I have tons of fresh manure, had nealrly a tone delivered, but I have filled two compost bins with it to rot it down and going to take three bags home for my bins at home aswell.  I will leave it a week or two and go add a few more bags to the raised beds just to top them up and cvoer again, at least I will get some squash this year if nothing else.  What else is good to grow with fresh (ish) manure

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 20:44:31 »
Most of the curcurbrit family - squashes, pumpkins, marrows, courgette, zuchini - and melons.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 20:48:13 »
...Pumpkins!...but I would not plant anything straight into fresh(ish) manure...make pocket with compost and soil and plant your plant in that...surrounded with your manure, but do not let it touch the plant until it is seasoned. If it is too fresh it might scorch your plants.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 20:50:02 »
..oh forgot...by the time your plant have grown out of the pockets the manure should be right for them to grow into...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal