Author Topic: Purple Sprouting Broccolli / Second allotment.  (Read 1233 times)

beckydore

• Half Acre
Purple Sprouting Broccolli / Second allotment.
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:32 »
Hi

I have just (Probably crazily) taken on a second half plot as my neighbour has given up hers, which is fairly well kept up.

I can see purple sprouting brocolli and what I think is salsify.

I've compared the PSB to that in tesco and it looks like its ripe!!!
I have a feeling that I read on here that you should cut from one direction to encourage sprouting. Is that true or have I imagined it??

Anyway tips for cutting / cooking grateful.

also for salsify

I am sure most people think I am crazy taking on a second half plot as I've only got half of my first one dug over (the rest is covered in plastic at the moment). It has been a huge battle to dig over the original plot, and I'm sure some of the other women / less strong men can appreciate the muscles required / aching after this.

The new one is split into raised beds, some of which are almost weedfree, others have a few weeds in. It also has an area including a polytunnel, which will be removed soon. My thoughts are that each raised bed can be cleared up and planted in an afternoon so this will get my motivation up much better and I will keep that one in great state while I am slowly improving the old site.

Becky

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Purple Sprouting Broccolli / Second allotment.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:14:20 »
It's the season for PSB so you're probably right. I just pick whtever I can see that's a decent size, and leave the little bits of purple to come on a bit more. As the season progresses, the bits you end up with get smaller.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:20:21 »
You say the brocoli is like that in tesco - but the supermarkets mainly sell calabrese not purple sprouting.
If it is purple sprouting you need to cut the heads just before they start to open. Cutting encourages it to sprout and produce more heads. Once they start to breakout into flowers you've pretty much lost the race.
Purple sprouting is a nice veg to have if you have the space, but its in the ground for a long time, plant May, harvest March/April, takes up quite a lot of space, and you need a number of plants to get a decent amount at one picking. I grew it a couple of years ago but am switching to calabrese this year.

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:21:59 »
it looks like the 'finest' packs marked purple sprouting broccoli.

Will take a few bits today and watch out for any flowers.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:02:29 »
The supermarkets do sell PSB at this time of year at exorbitant prices because it is one of the "trendy" foods.  In fact, grow about 10 plants of PSB and your lotty has probably already paid for itself.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 13:52:08 »
My approach with brassicas like this is to plant them out initially about six inches apart and grow them on for a while before putting them out at the 'proper' distance. That way I save space at the time when it's under maximum pressure, before the onions come out.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 15:09:45 »
I have a white sprouting broccolli next to a row of purple ones,mistake of nature or does it excist a white one.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 15:16:01 »
ruud,our neighbour showed us his white broc,only yday,im guessing its a genuine varient
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 15:18:55 »
okee than it will be google time. ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 15:29:35 »
Of course WSB exists, Ruud - much nicer than PSB. Ours is almost over, with the PSB now coming on.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 15:36:29 »
yep.. there is white...I grow some and purple and green...all sprouting varieties.
I started picking broccoli couple of weeks ago...and probably keep picking another month or so. For the time and space they take I find that getting couple of month supply of greens, when there is not much othere things going on, they are really worth while crop...and so tasty. But you have to grow few different varieties to get long cropping season.
I grow 3 different varieties and 5 plants of each...keeps me going with plenty to give away and big plants left to chickens to peg too... ;D

"Anyway tips for cutting / cooking grateful."

Just snap the heads off with some leaves and stem on and drop it in boiling water or in steamer..give it minute or two...no more (you only want to just "wilt" them with your cooking)..pour water off, nob of butter, salt and pepper and there you are...they do not need any more doing to them...real fast food.
My favourite meal is to have platefull of sprouting broccoli with fried egg...letting the yolk to run all over the broccoli....YUM, YUM!!!
If you are running short of veg...all the small broccoli leaves are edible...

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 15:51:52 »
On internet there was a white sprouting broccoli who lives more than one year.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 17:21:44 »
It,s called 9 star it gets very big and takes up a lot of room, it,s very tasty but in my opinion better to stick to the annual stuff unless you have plenty of room
anyone else tried it ?
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 17:49:12 »
Not worth the hassle!

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 18:19:42 »
That looks great,tim.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 19:44:33 »
I've had some given me in the past, but haven't grown it myself. I've got seed, and intend to try it this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal