Author Topic: poorly chicken. sick stance - but nothing obvious - help.  (Read 2082 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
Hi!

I hope someone can help - one of my four chickens is poorly.  Usual sick stance with occasional burst of energy.  Her crop is like liquid rather than solid.....she went off colour yesterday.  Only three eggs which would suggest she is down.  She is eating, but low on the pecking order so is slightly pushed out by the other chickens.  She has no lice.....but some of her feathers where her crop is is ruffled and fallen out (as well as her head if you have a good look - not noticable by just looking at her head)

any suggestions or quick immune boosts?

Gill.

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
Re: poorly chicken. sick stance - but nothing obvious - help.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 21:00:20 »
how old is she
today i will be growin veg!!

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:00:26 »
She is just coming up to a year old?

Someone told me that it is because we dont have a proper breed (they are the battery chicken type - sorry not very good at names - and are therefore overbreed and dont last long?) 

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 13:45:16 »
 Have you had her 1 year?
Have they been wormed ?
What is she eating at the moment,
You could try the pro active yorguts mixed with dry porrage oats just a small amount at a time.
Garlic or Onion chopped up is ment to be good as a natural antibiotic.
Apple cider vinigar in their water 1 week in every 4 weeks this would benifit all the hens.
Rhubarb leaves is a good wormer, they just eat how much they want, mine love it. or you can buy the powder.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 22:21:25 »
i wormed them in the autumn - do you think i should do it again?

eating mixed corn, layers pellets,

treats - salads tied up to keep them from boredom.  also give them soggy wholemeal bread mixed with natural yogurt (only started with yog recently as i heard it was good)

I had a soft egg this morning so i guess that maybe her.....

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:40:09 »
Sounds good what your doing,
worming is normaly done twice a year I try April and October sort of 6 months between.
As for soft shell it happens, try grit if they havent been use to grit get the small stuff for pidgons and mix it in their food its good for the digestion and egg shell quality.
If shes laying she is on the mend only a healthy hen lays so sounds like you sorted it good luck.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 20:49:35 »
Hi - i think i will take your advice, Teresa and give them another worming.  I dont want to jinx the little one - but she has perked up.  Not standing for long periods and her crop feels more solid - fingers crossed she is on the way to better health.

Thanks for all the advice

gill x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal