Author Topic: Got my Allotment  (Read 3754 times)

Buster54

• Acre
Got my Allotment
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:52:47 »
Just got my Allotment today took a few pick to share with you all

I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Got my Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:57:39 »
my god, buster, that's some job to take on..looking forward to seeing what you do with it, little at a time with a cuppa tea between  ;D

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 12:00:10 »
No time for tea I'll be on Gardeners world in a fortnight  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 12:06:33 »
It is a good size Buster.You should be able to do a lot with that.

Is the shed yours.?

Why oh Why do committees allow plots to be allocated with rubbish strewn on them and so weed ridden.I am sure if plots were in reasonable state when allocated there would not be such a big problem with people giving up plots.If you are on your own with little help it can be a major problem.

Hope you get lots of help and then you can start growing. :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:20 »
Crickey Buster!!!   :o :o :o   Are you sure the Council haven't given you some landfill site?  They obviously don't provide the "cleared" service before handing out the plots.  Still just think you'll be soooooooooo pleased with yourself when you post the "progress" pictures.  Manics is right - plenty of tea breaks will help.  Good luck
twinkletoes

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:11:33 »
congrats buster- how exciting!!
can't wait to see more pics.
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:45 »
Woo Hooooo!

congrats, thats quite a job tho, hope you've got some willing helpers and at least you can cancel that gym membership... ;)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:40:44 »
The question is, where to start?!  Enjoy it though - having seen the "before", we are all looking forward to seeing the "after"!  :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:57:19 »
No I am all on my tod my wife suffers from Fibromyalgia so she cant do much other than make tea,did ask my brothers last year if they wanted to share one but one only wants somewhere to do his experiments and the other thought it was to much like hard work so I didn't apply for one,but decided to go it alone this year.
Yes betula its a make shift greenhouse built out of whatever the shed is behind it the prev occupier had chickens in it and rabbits and from the mess never cleaned them out,spent yesterday moving the pile of hedge cuttings into the gaps of the bushes on the right and found another large piece of meshed framing that I have utalised to cover the largest gap and raked all the dry grass and dead nettle stalks cleaned the shed and potting shed out,going down later to to collect all the rotten wood together and have a big bonfire,rumor has it(and this is gonna spoil your fun)the local farmer comes down every year and ploughs whoever wants it doing for a tenner(think I might give it a miss and get stuck in with the spade)Ha will be taking me wallet every day from now

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 13:25:31 »
It's messy, but I can see bare soil, a lot of the weeds which come from seed, and not too much grass. Once you get rid of the rubbish, and get it dug, you won't recognise it. It'll take a lot of work this year, but I can see a nice plot on the way with persistence.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:35 »
Hi Buster I thought you had posted the wrong pictures as Twinkle said it resembles a landfill site  :o  and as Betula said they shouldn't be allowed to rent sites in that state  >:(. On a good note all the chicken and rabbit mess will make good compost  :D , best of luck and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 16:08:11 »
If I lived nearer  I`d give you a hand!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 16:25:01 »
I think it's really exciting buster. Are you an experienced gardener? My plot was similar and after a couple of days it nearly killed me and I thought I'd never clear it but I have (with help!) Little and often is the way. Good luck and do post progress pics.  ;)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 16:50:28 »
wow that's going to be a great site once you are finished.

i think if a committee see the site over growing they should act then not leave it for a person who is renting to clear it. even if they just cut it down to a lawn, it would be better for the new plot holder.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 20:12:18 »
It's better than mine was when I took it on. I had bonfires daily for three months, plus a heap of rubbish twenty feet across and six feet high. The Council eventually brought a little lorry that could fit in the lane, and took nine loads to the skip.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 20:19:13 »
Go for it Buster, it might look like a landfill now, but I spy plenty of bits n pieces that you could probably use for coldframes/fruit cages etc.  Look forward to seeing a few more pics as you make progress.  Large thermos flask required me thinks!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

jo9919

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 21:42:12 »
Congratulations.

It is obviously going to be hard work, but it will be worth it in the end, and when you have managed to tame it, the satisfaction will feel fantastic.

Good luck,
Jo.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 22:26:07 »
Congratulations Buster - yes, its hard work but its worth it. As others have said, I can just echo the sentiment of little and often. Mine was a 6 foot jungle back in January (have a look at the photos on my profile) but its starting to take shape now and have finally got some stuff planted!

Soon, you won't recognise it.

p.s. - remember to take lots of photos as you go, I find it really helps to keep you motivated when you see what progress you have made

;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 13:34:51 »
Hi buster, thats a lot like my old allotment was when I took it on. I spent a good month clearing all of the rubbish that was thrown all over the place. once it was all cleared I covered three quarters of it in old carpet to kill everything underneath off while I work the rest.

Just remember, slowly slowly, catchy monkey.

p.s.  keep an eye out for fly tippers. I had a nightmare getting people to realise the plot was no longer empty and to stop them throwing rubbish over the fence. annoying thing was it was fellow allotmenteers  on thier way out!!

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 18:02:22 »
See the trouble is in South Yorks the Councils don't want to know  I dare not show you a pick of the rubbish ok then I will when I go back down,finally got the council to agree to move the last tenants rubbish but I don't know when that will be,as you can see its a little tidier and I used up some of the timber by putting up a little fence just to separate the garden from the hedges then all my hedge cuttings and grass sods-nettles and other dead plants can be dumped behind it to form a natural barrier,gonna be moving the shed(and hopefully get a better greenhouse and  shed) to the bottom end.As you look down from the top where the greenhouse is the land slopes downhill to the left so gonna level that off so the fence won't look as it does now then plan me plots out and make some paths then by Thursday I should be ready to plant  :-X.No I am not a professional gardener so looking for ideas and tips from any and everyone,I only work 3 days a week so its 3 at work and 4 on the allot once I get out of traction

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal