Author Topic: planting up pots for front door  (Read 2684 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
planting up pots for front door
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:46 »
My roofers broke one of my pots and have left me a couple of replacements. I'm useless at planting up pots.  They're about 30cm. Has anyone got any suggestions a s to what I could plant in them that would be decorative and last a bit? The pots are mid blue with terracotta rims and the front door is red!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: planting up pots for front door
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:51 »
Sounds like the start of  a July 4th Independence Day theme. All you need are white posies ;)

Seriously though, if it gets sun how about simple red geraniums (or petunias) and some white sweet alyssum. The latter smells good in a warm sunny spot so I always grow some at the front bed. It is low and creeps under taller things nicely.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 13:28:31 »
Hi
Pots are great for bulbs and if you do a bit of planning you can get something in flower much of the year.
Things like sparaxis and oxalis for summer, nerines and autumn crocus for later in the year, snowdrops , hyacinths, mini daffs such as jetfire, and dwarf tulips or anemones for spring.

Or very low maintainace would be house leeks , they always look lovely and you dont really have to water them.
Or else something simple like four crystal palace lobelia, or some californian poppies (you should be able to sow both of these direct onto the compost surface.

Or how about strawberries they can look quite pretty or if its a warm patch you could try a chillie. they are very decorative once they have fruit on them.
Good luck
x sunloving

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 15:08:51 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually do geraniums but it's a bit early yet - this is Scotland after all!!

I've copped out for the time being and filled them with white, yellow and purple violas.  Sunloving I think your suggestion is great. I've some more pots in the back garden that are looking a bit tired so I may well try out your suggestion with them.

Thank you both.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 21:31:52 »
What about some herbs.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 15:48:27 »
Violas are perfect! good idea , they just keep giving and giving and when they get leggy in august you can just give them a hair cut and they shoot from the bottom.
Ace!
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal