Author Topic: Padlock problems.  (Read 1741 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Padlock problems.
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:14 »
We have an old padlock on our fruit tunnel that came with the plot and tuesday night the key broke in the lock. :(

I don't have any bolt cutters and could do without buying some just for one job.
I'm loath to cut the wooden frame to get in but I can't think of any other way... Does anyone know of a better solution... would a hacksaw get through a padlock do you think?

Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Padlock problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:18:51 »
You should be ok with the hacksaw....it might take some elbow grease but it should be fine.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:28:29 »
What about borrowing an angle-grinder with a metal disk on it?  Might be quicker than a hacksaw?
twinkletoes

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:51:20 »
What about borrowing an angle-grinder with a metal disk on it?  Might be quicker than a hacksaw?
twinkletoes

Great idea if you electric.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:26 »
Cheers people! :)

I don't have access to a grinder thing, but I'll take the hacksaw up with me later and let you know how I get on....

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:04:10 »
unless its a heavy duty padlock 5 good belts with a hammer from above into the body of the lock will break the lock.

Ive done about a dozen this way but it may bend the hasp a little

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:21 »
I wondered about just hitting it, but the rickety old door and frame won't take much abuse... As a last resort I'll take a hammer tho... ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 13:22:23 »
I wouldn't advise heating a hacksaw blade as you're likely to de-temper it and soften the metal, leaving it unable to cut anything hard! Re-tempering involves heating to red heat and plunging it into water to cool it suddenly. At this point it's very hard and brittle, and needs to be gently heated until the appropriate blue colour appears.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 08:03:01 »
Yay! I got in using a plain old hacksaw (cold...) and some elbow grease and it only took a couple of minutes.

makes me wonder why I bother with a lock at al... ;)

Thanks for your help people!

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:30:06 »
Like most security measures your padlock deters opportunistic trouble makers.
If somebody is determined to get into a room / building / house etc they will get in.
As an aside we have loads of grief at work about "computer security" which makes me laugh since if somebody wanted the data on our servers a good kick on the door and you would have easy access to everything.....
If somebody REALLY wanted access to your polytunnel they would damage the structure, kick it down, whatever. My little padlock on my shed deters the little chavs from nicking my spade, if they really wanted it they could lift the roof of the shed.
Get a replacement lock, ask for one that's designed to be outside. A lot of the brass type padlocks sold are not suitable for prolonged outside use and start to get stiff quickly.
Hope this helps,
Woppa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal