Author Topic: Coriander  (Read 2713 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Coriander
« on: April 03, 2008, 22:01:01 »
Has anyone got some Coriander seeds to spare.

Would like to do a test growing a few.

Thank yoU :D :D

Twirlie

• Half Acre
Re: Coriander
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 22:12:00 »
Yep Pm me and I'll send you some.  Think I may have an unopened pack aswell a half pack.   I've got some on kitchen window and doing fine but a bit thin, haven't tried outside yet as I'm a newbie only got my plot recently
Twirllie

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 22:40:48 »
There's a few here too sbg. I've got leaf and seed varieties. Let me know  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 22:45:08 »
Good tip I saw was to buy a huge bag of them from a wholesalers (sold as spices) for around 70p... should be enough to last years, sow every few weeks...can send you some if you like. Saw a guy doing this on the gardeners world episode on allotments.
Have you tried Vietnamese coriander? Its a perennial and a doddle to grow
Truffle
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 23:12:44 »
Thanks all, been very kind :)
xx

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 23:25:20 »
Truffle, how is the flavor of the leaves in the Vietnamese?  Or is it for the seed?  I'm sending the leaf variety to Springbokgirlie as I had a full pack spare.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:28:55 »
Vietnamese coriander tastes great, BUT  the plant is a thug
it will spread realy fast and when you dig it out bits will come back for years
sorry

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:50:14 »
Just keep it in a pot  ;) never had any problems!
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:24 »
Just keep it in a pot  ;) never had any problems!
hmmm yes that would do it, moving worked for me lol

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 13:45:04 »
Was it the same GW man who also squished the seed first  to get  better and higher germination?

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 14:28:46 »
Great tips here.  My son is mad about coriander/garlic/chillies. He makes a sort of soupy thing with chickpeas or lentils (sounds awful I know). His sister calls it Mark's gruel.  I did once use some ancient coriander seeds from a spice jar and was astonished that they germinated so easily.
Today I got a lovely surprise too as some fresh coriander seeds I bought last year had germinated very quickly on a heated tray thingy. They are called "confetti". Di

Good tip I saw was to buy a huge bag of them from a wholesalers (sold as spices) for around 70p... should be enough to last years, sow every few weeks...can send you some if you like. Saw a guy doing this on the gardeners world episode on allotments.
Have you tried Vietnamese coriander? Its a perennial and a doddle to grow
Truffle

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 15:27:57 »

Good tip I saw was to buy a huge bag of them from a wholesalers (sold as spices) for around 70p... should be enough to last years, sow every few weeks...can send you some if you like.

I have tried this and it seemed to go to seed very quickly, seemingly overnight! If you have had more success with this, how would I go about growing enough to use in a curry once a week. I probably use 1 small bunch per week, max 2. What quantity are you sowing every 2 weeks?

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 22:32:29 »

Good tip I saw was to buy a huge bag of them from a wholesalers (sold as spices) for around 70p... should be enough to last years, sow every few weeks...can send you some if you like.

I have tried this and it seemed to go to seed very quickly, seemingly overnight! If you have had more success with this, how would I go about growing enough to use in a curry once a week. I probably use 1 small bunch per week, max 2. What quantity are you sowing every 2 weeks?

Interesting quesion, I would be the same, a handful a week, so how many plants would I need to sow every 2 weeks :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal