Author Topic: too late to start now?  (Read 1592 times)

masbah

too late to start now?
« on: April 02, 2008, 18:47:54 »
Hi everyone, I'm new and I was wondering if it's too late in the year to start growing my vegetables, I don't have an allotment yet but... I mean if I get an allotment this/next week is there still time to grow something this year? If I can't get an allotment can I still grow in my garden (reduce the flowers and dig away...)? Thanks for any ideas as you can see I don't have a clue!  ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: too late to start now?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 18:49:43 »
hiya, masbah..nice to meet you, only just the very start of the growing season so no worries  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 18:50:53 »
My first year i started in July and had loads of veg!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 19:14:02 »
The only green things I've got at the moment are some peppers and some geraniums.  You've got plenty time yet.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 21:13:04 »
At the moment we have our names down for a lottie but as there is a 2 year waiting list (not bad compared to some areas) we are digging up a mixed border for veg. It will be approx 21ft x 8ft, 91/2 if I can persuade OH to take up another row of flags. I hope we can grow lots on that.
Janet.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 21:19:39 »
Hi Masbah and welcome :D

Loads of time to do all kinds of lovely stuff ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 21:26:13 »
Hiya
why not mix a few things in your flower borders? or as you say clear an area to put veg in. Just clear a bit and set your seeds or whatever. Then whilst thtas getting going clear another bit. :D

masbah

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:41:14 »
Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome and positive replies. Now I'm feeling very enthusiastic about this.  ;D GrannyJanny 2 years is such a long time... hope you get yours sooner!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:42:27 »
Yes loads of time to start your veggies.

Why not start now and grow some in containers while you are waiting for your plot.Buckets,large plant pots even milk cartons with the bottoms cut off will do.

Hope you are lucky and get your plot soon.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 13:52:37 »
It's worth noting that seed companies such as Suttons do offers on plugs around this time of year. As a starter for ten it might be worth getting one of their variety offers. For about £24 they offer a mixed bag of 175 plugs with stuff like sweetcorn, beetroot, leeks, cabbage included.

It's a bit expensive compared to seed and they don't deliver until May which to me shows that you can still sow but for your first year,until you get everything in order, it might be a good starter.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 16:16:35 »
More expensive than seed but good quality if, like me, you forget to plant something (leeks in my case)..

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/March_Delivery.html

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 17:51:26 »
Hi Masbah welcome loonie world of gardening, as the others have said the season has just got going, so good luck and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 19:53:12 »
Thanks for the link Barnowl - I've bookmarked it.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 21:28:35 »
not too late at all, i took mine on in feb and am still clearing it, ive planted onion sets (99p shop, quicker than seed for the impatient such as me and my brood) and im starting stuff off indoors, im hoping the flicker of green in the house will spur me on to clear the plot so it has somewhere to grow properly, tho u cant do that with rootveg like carrots, ive started leeks (weeny greenies) just planted courgettes and stuff like that and will be doing more over the weekend as its predicted to be rain, joys! but u can do as ive done and buy currant bushes and stuff now if u like them? ive been instructed to dig andf plant, ie clear a bit n plant it then clear the next bit, so youve still got plenty of time :d and if one more person says soddit just grow potatoes.... which i have chitted but not planted yet... i think ill scream! lol! other than that we were given some rhubard by a fellow plot holder and have been offered surplas babys from other peeps, im sure youll have the same offers if u make friends on the lottie :D and thankyou to the guys on here whove given me the seeds to get planting, yay! love you x will show pics when i gewt round 2 it, hopefully b4 the slug aremy marches in.. rain over the weekend means what ive got will soon be gone i think :C
anyway, big hello and welcome from a fellow newbie :D lou x
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:11 »
Never to late  ;D
And you can grow veggies in growbags and pots ect (get some nice size tubs up the local tip on Sundays).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal