Author Topic: Greyhound cabbage  (Read 6569 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Greyhound cabbage
« on: April 02, 2008, 13:36:38 »
They have been in a while over the winter but thet don't seem to have hearted up when I felt one it was like empty. When do you think they will be ready? Or just eat like this but then I will need a few at a time.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Greyhound cabbage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 14:03:32 »
we eat some like spring cabbage, Rosyred and leave some to heart up..lovely  ;D

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 15:44:19 »
Greyhound are not a spring cabbage therefore they don't do well overwinter. They can be sown under glass in January and then planed out about now or sown in April may for a summer crop - we had no problems with ours last year. If you want a winter cabbage so one of the Savoys. I can't think of a hearting spring cabbage off the top of my head.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 17:03:13 »
Durham Elf is a good "spring" cabbage to grow over winter...
I got some Delaway from HSL last year and that doesn't heart at all but provides loads of lovely fresh leaves this month!
 ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 19:09:50 »
If I were to grow Spring Cabbage I would grow Spring Hero, however I find growing the winter cabbage Tundra and the Savoy Wintessa better value for money much as I like loose leaf spring cabbage.

I find a Tundra which I am picking now and have been since Xmas will do the wife and I about 4 meals, the savoys will do two.

Tundra hearts so solid it can be used as a substitute for lettuce through winter.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 19:43:52 »
I got some Delaway this year so I'll find out if I'm organised enough. I failed miserably with my Advantage last year which I was going to double sow first as a Summer/Autumn cabbage and then again for Spring greens, it was the second batch that failed.
A trick I did learn last year for producing spring greens is when you cut your cabbage, note cut not yank out by roots, make a cross cut in the top and leave. The cabbage will sprout giving you new spring greens - we've just picked the last before they all bolted. Mixture of Savoy, Advantage, and one or two greyhound roots.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 21:22:20 »
I think Greyhound are a Summer cabbage. They are sown and planted out about now and then grow quickly to be eaten in July - September. They don't make much in teh way of hearts like Winter varieties do and are long and pointed.

helenhoughton

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 21:45:39 »
I've sown my Greyhound cabbage seeds yesterday should be ready to eat round July,Helen

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 22:51:12 »
I have grown Greyhound as a spring cabbage before and they hearted up well about May time. I do normally sow it as a summer cabbage though - they are a great tasting cabbage - not the biggest but they do heart tightly if you leave them long enough.  I have Excel in this year despite not liking F1's.  All the one I sowed got munched and I bought the plants from Dobies.  They are starting to heart up now.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 18:43:58 »
Thanks everyone. I'll leave them for a bit longer and see what happens. They are looking very good when I popped there today.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 21:07:51 »
am just planting out greyhound now!
found flower of spring has done very well and is nearly ready to eat
have sown some more as it says it does well in the autumn as well
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 21:31:13 »
Popped to the allotment this evening and they have only gone to flower haven't they. Not what I was expecting...

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:30:52 »
They have been in a while over the winter but thet don't seem to have hearted up when I felt one it was like empty. When do you think they will be ready? Or just eat like this but then I will need a few at a time.
You need to heel them in well when you plant them to get them to heart up. Greyhound do not heart very much anyway and there is nothing wrong with eating a few at a time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal