Author Topic: My three year olds Iris  (Read 1394 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
My three year olds Iris
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:50:08 »
Hi all, my three year old bought a potted Iris back from playschool and its her pride and joy and she wants to water it every 5 mins, it was an inch high when she bought it home and now is over 6.5 inches high, my question is when can she plant it in the garden. PS snowing today, thanks in advance.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: My three year olds Iris
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 13:04:46 »
Any time now...just wait the worst of the weather to go away...I would harden it off by keeping it out during day and lifting it back indoors for the night. If it has been indoors for the long time the new growth may get damaged otherwise. Sounds like you have budding garderner coming along... ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 19:02:07 »
Cheers Goodlife.  ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 19:13:20 »
My younger one brought a hyacinth home from school when she was about seven, and I told he to give it plenty of light. Her solution to that one was to bend a table-lamp over so the buld was an inch from the plant, and leave it on permanently. Somehow she managed not to kill it, and it bloomed well in the end, though the tips were rather scorched.

Wait till it warms up a bit, harden it off by moving it to an unheated area like a porch, then put it outside when it's warm. After a few days of that, it should be ready to go in the garden.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 19:26:22 »
Cheers again Robert.  ;D ;D ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 19:33:08 »
When you do get around to planting it be careful what you do.

Bulbous (reticulata) and rhizomatis ( bearded etc) require different planting methods.

Bulbous are planted around 2-3 times the depth of the bulb where as rhizomes want planting virtually on the surface.

Have a look in here and in the related links; http://tinyurl.com/5tobah

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal