Author Topic: When to take the lids off my propagators?  (Read 8324 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
When to take the lids off my propagators?
« on: March 31, 2008, 16:18:17 »
Hi everyone here is another of my 'she obviously knows nothing about growing stuff' questions (thank you all for your patience)....I have tiny seedlings growing in propagators & was wondering do I continue to keep the lids on until the plants are much bigger or do I take the lids off now the seedlings are appearing? The propagators are on sunny windowsills & near radiators that are on for about 3 hours total in a day.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: When to take the lids off my propagators?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 16:20:39 »
I think the general approach is to remove the lid, at least during daytime, once the seedlings are about 1 cm high - standing by to be corrected  :)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 16:25:00 »
Hello. So long as its a sunny windowsill you maybe ok to keep them in there for a bit.  If they don't get enough light they go what they call leggy. That is like tall and spindley(looking for light) Its warming up this week so you might take them out and stand on the windowsill.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 16:54:40 »
I aways uncover mine as soon as they are showing. and yes put them outside to get as much light as possible
I start tender things off on a windowsill  then put them in the G/H but cover them up at night
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 17:12:14 »
Thank you all for your help I'm off to uncover them right now  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 20:00:46 »
As soon as mine have germinated they come out of the propagator and onto a bright windowsill in a light box(a bow cut in half diagonally covered on the inside with foil to reflect light). I have forgotton to watch one lot of seedlings as the 'hatched' and they grew very tall and thin as it was too hot in the propagator for them.

That only took 2 days ::)

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal