Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Any ideas

<< < (2/3) > >>

Yarwooda:
As an allotment officer my self i would sugest setting up an association. That would show that you are all commited to the site . I then would aproch your Allotment officer and ask for help in hireing equipment to clear plots. It would be cheaper for them to do this than get a landscape contractor in to do the work.
It would also show your commitment to the site and display partnership working.
I then would form work parties and slowly strim down and clear the vacant plots.
By doing this together over the next 6 /12.
By being pro active you then can advertise the newly strimed plots for letting. Any new tenants should be made aware of the work the association have done for them and in return ask for their assistsance to clear the next phase of plots. This will soon have a great feeling of comarardary as the site menbers will be having more pride in the site as they have been doing the work.
Keep a record of how many people help out and what jobs were done and hours worked as these can act as volentary hours for match funding it you apply for grant aid.
Also contact your local Healthy living project if you have one as they may be able to help along with local GP's sugesting a GP referal scheam allotments on perscription. Stress the theraputic, excersise and healthy benifits of growing chemical free food on allotments along with the social interactive benifits sutch as learning new skills & team building.

It may seem an lot to do but it would be worth it in the end.

Good luck
Let me know how you get on.

Alan  

loopylizzie:
Hi  :) some time ago Kitchen Garden magazine had an article that said women were the biggest group currently taking on plots . If this is the case why not target these women at mother and toddler groups, playgroups, WI church groups there must be all sorts when you start digging around (small pun there). Local library may be a good source of info on local groups. A new plot can be quite daunting especially to busy Mums, perhaps you could suggest sharing of plots or see if half plots are available. Our plots in Rugby are also the subject of rumour about housing from time to time also more than half a dozen new plot holders that I know of this year so Very best of luck with your campaign  Liz    :)

gavin:
Couple more ideas - is there a local Surestart scheme?  Suggest to them they take on a demonstration plot - there's a couple like that around us in Leeds.  One I've seen was split into very small "starter" plots for mums and tots.

And any local organisations working with adults with learning disabilities?  Would they take on a plot for a bit of horticultural therapy?

They're good things to have in themselves - but (hard-nosed cynic, here) strengthens considerably the "community benefit" of the allotment site?

All best - Gavin

Sarah-b:
This is really good - lots of ideas and some moral support. I'm going to go along to the allotment committee meeting on Aug 5th and see how receptive they are to some new ideas.
Also, we do have an Open Day on the 14th, so I'll be interested to see how that goes down - and the chairman is talking to the local press.
Another idea of mine, was to approach the Asian community. I haven't noticed any Asian plot holders and I was thinking of putting together a leaflet that listed they types of things you can grow that might specifically interest them. Does anyone here have any ideas in that direction?
Gavin - I used to have a plot in Leeds quite a few years ago - the mares tail used to really get me down.
I was on our plot last night and it was a really lovely evening. I took a walk around and counted about 20 empty plots, just in my part of the site. Just opposite the site there is a new development of houses (they tore up a beautiful orchard). Outside the building site - and right opposite our plots - is a huge notice "LAND WANTED FOR DEVELOPMENT".  >:( >:(

Thanks,
Sarah,

Tenuse:
Put up notices in the supermarket - most of them have noticeboards.

Or sneak in tiny adverts amongst the organic fruit and veg section - "don't buy it here - grow your own at xxx allotments"!!!

Ten x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version