Author Topic: Rats in the allotment  (Read 11136 times)

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
Rats in the allotment
« on: March 30, 2008, 23:47:28 »
I have the loan of half a plot in the allotment where I have seen some monster rats, I watched one take an 18" parsnip in behind the bushes and make  short work of it. there are loads of traps around the site but I was wondering if there were any plants you  can grow to deter them Traps and poison don't seem to be the answer. Any pearls of wisdom to share with me. ???
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
Re: Rats in the allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 00:08:50 »
 :-\  Found this snippet of info regarding plants to deter rats: -
Valerian especially, has an almost paralysing effect on rats and mice. Attraction or repulsion? Either way, the evil-smelling roots are used as bait for rodents and may well have been the Pied Pipers secret weapon!

Also found this: -
Rats dislike Cat Nip (Nepeta cataria) the plant cats go crazy over.

Hope this helps......

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:05 »
You need to sow some rat poison. Put it down regularly to minimise the population; it probably won't be possible to get rid of them altogether.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:41:17 »
Hi there

We had similar problems, the local council guy came and was very effective in putting loads of poison down

What he do do which was clever, was to put it in plastic bags.  The rats thought it was a tasty treat, and dragged the bag into the hidey hole to scoff (hopefully feeding the whole family if there are babies).

The council will come out for free and bait the area, then come back and check to see if its been effective, and if not, try something else

Good luck!

Joolieeeeeeeeee
Joolieeee

big J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 14:59:41 »
i like to stick to rat traps because on are site hedgehogs were also being poisoned and other wildlife

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 20:09:21 »
hiya, big J..welcome to the site  ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 20:54:41 »
i like to stick to rat traps because on are site hedgehogs were also being poisoned and other wildlife
Then buy a couple of rat bait boxes

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsDetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=3210
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 00:13:29 »
Hi all  and thanks for the replys, I would like to  only use poison as the last resort though you have sugested some ideas. there maybe a  combination aproache needed. Liked the mouse in  Aromatic reply.
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:37 »
What is the problem with the rat poison if you spend £5 on a bait box you are not endangering any other wild life and you get the poison free from the council,s rat catcher.
If you just want to stick with traps and don,t use them properly they are more danger to wild life.
With traps you have three option
Glue Trap
Fen Trap
Live Trap
Neither are of any use if you do not know where the rats or rabbits are traveling.
Rabbit are habitual and will use the same entry/exit point all the time so you need to find that first and channel it to the trap.
Rat tend to travel close to fences so you need to find the run or rat droppings so the traps are in the right place. If you use the Fen Trap then again you need to channel the rat onto it, you don't need to bait this trap you force the rat or rabbit to go over it.
The same method applies to a live trap only it needs to be baited with some bait  that smells to attract the rat in, i would suggest bacon as this is easily attached to the trigger
No matter which way you want to do it you will still have to spend money.

DAVY

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 18:57:57 »
If you bury your head in the sand and dont do something you are leaving yourself open to catching Weils disease - Ratcatchers yellows caught by putting your hand down where the rat has peed.

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 00:09:17 »
Thanks  all for the replays,

Ok I'm taking this all on board but what I was also looking for was there plants  out there which  put them off coming near the plot. Last option is poison and  traps I don't mind just looking for  some middle ground. Yes poison works but with having young children about is it safe?

Aiden
Hello world
Aiden

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 13:54:31 »
Put the poison in lengths of drain pipe will protect it from cats,dogs,foxes and other wildlife as well as untrained kids.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 16:00:51 »
Traps and Poison boxes/pipes are not hard to hide away from the kids, they can go under old timber, sheds or bricks where the rat runs or will go for cover.
You can,t put plants all over the garden to deter them so other than what has been stated your only other option is a good terrier or air gun.

DAVY

big J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 23:14:04 »

what happens when a rat or mouse eats the poisin in the bait  box and dies in the open it could be eat by cats foxes crows owls believe me it can happen

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 23:21:00 »
I know one guy who swears by his air rifle - but he does virtually live at the plot...
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 23:49:28 »
I too was told this afternoon that there is a HUGE rat living in my compost heap :o.
Will try the valerian and cat nip too. Maybe it will clear off and become a problem to someone who isn't quite so cowardly :-[
Smile, it confuses people.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 15:57:43 »

what happens when a rat or mouse eats the poisin in the bait  box and dies in the open it could be eat by cats foxes crows owls believe me it can happen
You decide on who you want to be the victim of the rat.
If you wear leather type gardening glove when gardening and they come into contact with the rat or the rats urine the infection stays on that glove, if that part of the glove comes into contact with an open cut any disease the rat is carrying is transferred.
I think it is safe to say we all grow Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Peas, Broad Bean, Runner Bean,  French Bean and Tomato,s, all tall plants and all that the rat eats. Well when the rat is happily chomping away on the fruit of the plant it is also urinating on the fruit below, the fruit you eat.
Next there is Carrots and Parsnips in raised beds or not, guess what the rat is doing when pulling them to eat.
Crop Damage. The rat does not stay in one place to eat, it will take a bite out of one beetroot then move to next and do the same again and again, this also applies to your Swede, Turnip, Coli Rabi, Celleric and so on. It has no intention of leaving anything for you to eat, but will give you every disease it carries
Sorry folks dont mean to put anyone off liking the rat, but now you know why i dislike it

DAVY

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 16:19:09 »
Try to keep the plot tidy and free of places for them to live too. Dont have piles of stuff in a corner for them to live under. Also WEAR GLOVES, you dont want Weils disease.

To be honest there are rats everywhere really you just dont often see them.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 16:22:57 »
At anyone time no matter where you are, your not 25 yards from a rat.

DAVY

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 16:35:51 »
especially if you work in a law firm.

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal