Author Topic: smelly feathers  (Read 1567 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
smelly feathers
« on: March 28, 2008, 16:18:56 »
Is it correct that breeders use a brown smelly spray on areas of chickens that have been pecked?

Just i got two new birds and one really smelt around an area where new feathers are growing through the older feathers thier are brown.  The breeder said he use a spray to make it smell bad to stop the other girls from pecking her?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: smelly feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 16:51:09 »
Yes anti-peck spray is often used to stop other chickens from pecking a bird or to stop them pecking themselves. It really does smell vile so you will know if it has been used.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 17:01:07 »
hiya thanks for that baccy man u put my mind at rest,i thought she had something wrong with her!
At least i know shes ok:), just not a pleasure to have her to close a lot lol, hopefully few weeks smell would have gone:) and i give her lots of cuddles!

KimT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 17:36:13 »
Oh yes! it does hum ding just like stockholm tar and it takes ages to wear off the feathers too.
Love my hens and all that's henny!
www.thepoultrygarden.com

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 00:06:56 »
Does it put a hen off from cleaning her own feathers? you can tell I havent used it.

son of eddy

• The Poultry garden
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:56:40 »
Well you don't have to use that stuff any way.  Just use a purple wound spray.  The Poultry are attracted by the red of a wound, if you spray it purple they don't recognise it as a wound.  You should be able to get it from where you get your feed or from horse feed suppliers.  I have also experienced this with my poultry and tried the anti peck spray that taste bad, but it didn't stop the hens pecking.
Come and find the secret garden

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal