Author Topic: Got a Dog Today!  (Read 4319 times)

DenBee

• Acre
Got a Dog Today!
« on: March 30, 2008, 19:20:09 »
A few weeks ago my sister told me she knew of a boxer girl (edited it, because I couldn't let it read boxer pregnant dog pup, could I?  :D ) pup needing rehomed.  We were just about to offer to take her when the owner changed his mind.

Yesterday she told me he'd changed his mind again.  He's out at work all day, his girlfriend's left him, and he didn't feel it was fair to the pup to leave her so many hours.

So today we went to see her.  He got to the flat just after us, because he'd been out playing football, and the sight of his home when he let us in was an awful wonder to behold.  The dog had emptied his kitchen bin all over his living room, and had managed to open all his kitchen cupboards and scatter the contents all over the floor.  She and flat were covered in flour.

On the plus side for us it confirmed to him that he needed to find a better home for her.  So we took her.

She's 21 weeks old, red, and got a full tail - no docking these days.

And so far she's only peed on my floors 4 times.  ::)  But she's lovely.  Intelligent, friendly, and travelled really well in the car.  She loves my children, especially the younger one.  And they're really keen on her.

What a wonderful lottie companion I've got now.  ;D  Apart from OH of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 19:23:29 by DenBee »
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Got a Dog Today!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 19:40:54 »
what a lovely, lively sounding dog..shades of that film with tom hanks in  ;D
but prettier

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 19:42:05 »
Hope you all have fun with your new friend :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 19:47:09 »
Oh wow DenBee boxers are wonderful intelligent dogs and great companions. Totally nuts as well but such fun if you have the time for them. Need firm management I'm afraid but you will get so much back in return. If i weren't a totally committed cocker spaniel addict I'd have boxers by the score.

My husband used to have one called Breeze - and quite frankly Breeze sums it up - she fairly waltzed through life.

Great dogs!! LUCKY YOU!!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 20:08:47 »
Thanks all.  We're really happy about it, but of course this is day one.  ;)

We've always been a boxer family - my mum's had them, and we had a gorgeous boxer dog until about 6 years ago, when he had to be put to sleep at age 13.  Because of work commitments we've been reluctant to get another dog, but now OH took early retirement, I work only part-time, and the children are both at school, so the time was right.

I love them - they're bright, chock full of character.  Hard work, as Grawrc says, but rewarding because they're quick to learn.

And she's just peed on my floor again - right by my foot.  On the plus side, she's done two poos in the garden.  ;D

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 20:14:03 »
 ;D Fantastic breed boxers. I am so pleased for you. Boxer dogs are social, loyal and loveable. You will have a great friend and companion!! Enjoy!!!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 20:20:27 »
get the camera out, DenBee..let's see her  ;D

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 20:53:28 »
I don't think I can put photos in posts - but that's her on the left.  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 21:33:17 »
she's a beaut  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 21:47:12 »
She looks beautiful, never owned a Boxer but I am told they are like Labradors never seem to get out of bouncy puppy stage, have fun  glad she has taken to the family.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 21:50:42 »
What's her name Denbee? She's a lovely looking dog, I hope you and yours have many happy years with her.

Grawrc - Totally agree, Cockers are my favourite and I can't wait 'til we can get another!!

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:11:44 »
She's called Kia.  We decided to leave it, and it can double for "here" when we're doing a recall.  So Kia will always mean "come to me".

Not a bad night last night.  We didn't have a bed for her, because we weren't sure we'd get her, so I gave her an old towel to sleep on.  Eventually she got the idea what "get on your bed" meant, and stopped trying to climb into bed with us.

Except she forgot at 3am.  ::) Luckiily her nose isn't too cold, cos she shoved it under the duvet and right on my bum.  ;D

Going shopping today for bed, flexi-lead, treats, more food, etc.  Daren't leave her alone in the house yet, so OH will have to stand outside the shop.  :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 19:36:20 »
You are so so lucky having a Boxer.  My family had Boxers when I was but a lass and they are just wonderful as far as I am concerned.  If I see one on the street I have to talk to it.  They are daft though and never grow up.  They are the clowns of the Doggy World but great dogs.  Enjoy Kia and if you Dont, well I will have her.   ;D ;D

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 17:44:53 »
Well the honeymoon's over.  ::)

From experience of rescue dogs we thought this would happen - she's taken a week to get her confidence in her new environment, and now she's pushing her luck.  She'd learned in her previous home that the only way to play is very roughly, and today she's trying it on with us, and then some.  We've been going down the dominance route with her since we got her, anticipating this.  But today's being a bit of a battle.  She's barking at us, mouthing our hands and arms, jumping up at us, grabbing things.

OH has taken her for a walk to try and get some of the enthusiasm and energy worn out of her.  It's felt a bit like a boxing match today - seconds out, round two.  :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 19:32:48 »
She's barking at us, mouthing our hands and arms, jumping up at us, grabbing things.

OH has taken her for a walk to try and get some of the enthusiasm and energy worn out of her.  It's felt a bit like a boxing match today - seconds out, round two.  :)

Sounds like my house on a regular basis with two springies in it!  My mum used to breed Boxers a long time ago and I have a soft spot for them.  How I ended up with springies I have no idea rofl  ;D

She'll be fine, once she's realised who's boss  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 19:43:31 »
If you want a break, I will have her...

;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 19:47:31 »
Den Bee they're not called boxers for nothing!  Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Remember how she must feel after all the changes in her short like and the lack of consistency up till now. You will get there: it's a mixture of discipline, fairness and - dare I say it? - love!!

Go Kia!!!!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 20:23:19 »
She'll be fine, once she's realised who's boss  ;D

Oh, she thinks she knows who's boss.  ;D

So that's Carol first on the register for boarding her, followed by Posie, then Grawrc then?  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 21:09:31 »
But you know better... and yes she'd be welcome here if you needed it albeit it would have to be in the Scottish school holidays until I retire. (2009)

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 21:58:35 »
 ;D ;D What a scallywag she is!! I think in my experience walking is the key when they are particularly lively. I have a border collie with endless energy and I found by giving him three walks a day... two particularly long walks, seems to do the trick. Basil is far more settled after his walks. I usually make them quite interesting by interacting with him and playing games because they do also become easily bored and love to play, particularly games that exercises the mind. So for instance I may hide his ball and get him to find it, and we do things like that in between throwing his ball and getting Basil to retrieve the ball and bring it to me.... by the time he gets back home he his glad of a rest!! (so am I but a woman's work is never done!! LOL!!) Wishing you many happy hours with Kia, I am quite sure you will get her sorted and doing things your way very soon!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal