Author Topic: Lose weight with us here!!!  (Read 43036 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 16:09:46 »
Hi everyone, Ive got nearly 5 stones to release  :-[  
Im not saying 'to lose' because i dont want to find it again once its gone  ;)

I had a serious illness 5 years ago that had me in hospital for 9 months, this was the start of my weight gain. Then I gave up alcohol 4 years ago & smoking 2 1/2 years ago & the pounds just piled on  :o

I do try to exercise every day using a rebounder or exercise step. I walk everwhere too. But even adding in trips to the gym &/or swimming regularly hasnt shifted much in the last 5 months (about 12lbs loss). Since being so ill I have really learnt how to relax (meditation etc) & I seriously think my metabolism has changed hugely from my size 8 days of living on the adrenaline of constant stress caused by a nightmare job & overly packed lifestyle! I wouldnt want that life back in any shape or form & am so very pleased I can live a more relaxed life now but I want to be less heavy so I dont compromise my health in other ways.

I'm going to try cutting out all processed carbs (rice, bread, pasta etc), all unnatural sugar sources like cakes/biscuits/chocolate, & any other tyes of processed foods as of today. I will get my carbs & natural sugars from fresh fruit & veg & maybe a little honey if im having major sweet cravings.

Good luck to everyone...here's hoping we all release loads of pounds this week  ;D    

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 17:07:02 »
I would love to be a supporter please :D 

Anyone who can do this deserves a medal!  (With BP I always have to watch my weight!  :')

So ... Ill hold the towel !!  ::)  ... for me to loose I have to exercise  :-[

... first a warm-up, you could do some of this
 ... then maybe

... if you don't fancy that try this

... or

... but best of all I like to do this

... because I find gyms so boring  :-X

And when you get desparate ... go back to digging the garden and do this

Sorry I'll get my coat  :-[ :-[ :-[   ;)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 17:12:00 »
we have a thread on SZ (over 50,s) I have been reporting in every friday and so far I have lost 1½ st this year gone a bit sticky at the moment love to join this one double the support can,t be bad
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 18:12:25 »
Wow!! well done Marg!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 18:17:06 »
Oh lots more. Biscombe I missed your earlier thread, sorry I think I was typing. I have been bad already. I have just a cup of tea today again and just starting another one..I have to start to eat better.

Yes I should try to cut out butter, but cannot switch to a marg, I will chop it altogether.

I can use Slimline mayo , someone at school uses that and it is OK, but that goes against the no bought sauces policy so???

Crystalmoon, well don for joining us, I have that much to lose too so we can help each other.

So there are about 6 of us going for the 3 pounds by 15th April. Tonight I will do a bit of menu planning, focusing on trying to eat breakfst and lunch.

I find it interesting that we all have different foos issues that cause the weight. In my case it is fat, s two or three others it is carbs, and one is wine.

I will eat eat 4 times a day, I will, I will , I will.

Starting tomorrow....... here I come.

Thank you for all the cheer leaders too, your help and support is very valuable.

Recipes welcome here.

I am starting to feel confident and ready.

No exercise for me sadly so it will be slow I think

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2008, 18:23:20 »
Come on J! you can do it!!
I've been wanting to start a diet for ages, this thread really going to help me!
If I can do this for a week I think i can keep it going! only managed two days at most so far!

Thanks again J  :-* I'm up for it! would kill for a glass of vino though!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 20:29:15 »
Hello back again had to dash off to work,had a housing office to clean!
I hit a new larger then ever before weight after christmas 13st12lb and I am only 5'4" so felt terrible ,no excuses I can be a very greedy peeps when it comes to fattening food.I have lost 3st more often then I can remember but always put it on and more :'( want to get down to 10½ so I am nearly ½ way there
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 21:45:26 »
I started with slimming world  three weeks ago and so far have done over half a stone.
i have been over wieght all my adult life.
my main problem was sandwiches i loved them far to much,anything and every thing had to go in a sandwich,that and crisps i cant have them in the house.
now though with slimming world its such a easy concept you just have to think a little more on what you are eating and  plan ahead.
i have done slimming world before and managed 4 stone but confidense grew and so did my waist again.
people say go with the wieght be happy with what you are.
i can not
one of my biggest reasons for this is i have a eight year old son who if i carry on the way i was going i wouldnt see him grow up.
i was told that three months ago by the nurse who i had seen about given up smoking(which i have dodone)
another reason is my other half is registered disabled and he needs my help more and more each day.
but most of all i am losing wieght for myself.
i wighed in at 22 stone.5 and a half pounds .for my hieght i have to get down to 11 stone.
meaning i have to lose half of my body.
losing one stone or ten  is hard going .
belive me i know.
but i will say this
good luck every one there will be days where you may struggle but you never fail if you keep on trying.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 22:03:33 »
Jim and I both lost two stone by grilling and trimming off fat off our meat.

Planing meals well ahead so if you get hungry the right type of food is to hand.

If we did not want to fiddle to much we had weight watchers meal plus a plate overloaded with our favourite veg.

Not allowing biscuits cake etc in the house.

Walking a lot more.

Keeping a food diary.

If the urge for something nice is overwhelming.Have it in a small portion.Stops you feeling deprived.

I love the skinny cow range of icelollies Low cal and a real treat.They do a blueberry one  and it is so nice.

Good luck everybody. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 22:05:36 »
Well done Wiltshire lass, keep on posting here, you have some excellent reasons for wanting to lose that weight and especially for you yourself.

I know it is going to be hard, giving up smoking was easy compared to this but I guess we are all different so that is not fair to say.

I am glad I started this thread now.

One thing I have noticed is losing  a few pounds is just as important to some one as it is to another who wants to lose a few stone.

Have you ever felt sabotaged  by folks around you. Why is it that when you are trying to lose weight there is always someone who tries to persuade you to have that piece of chocolate of bag of chips. I wonder why that is. Do they take pleasure in getting someone to give in. More important, why do we fall for it,sometimes I feel if you don't take their offering they will be offended and you find yourself eating something you don't want just to please someone who really isn't very interested in supp0rting anything but their own amusement.

Not so on this thread.

Tip I learned years ago, of you have to buy those doughnuts(one of the few sweet things I like) because the family insist, and the craving gets to you, stick the ruddy things in the freezer and phone a friend for a long chat!!

I have eaten a very sensible dinner, salad with a home made dressing with a tiny bit of Roquefort cheeses in it, with a baked skinned and crumbed chicken breast and a small bread roll, no butter, followed by fruit, 1 passion fruit, a fig and a thin slice of watermelon.

I have seeds starting to pop in the sprouter ready for pita sandwiches later this week.

Ooh, just remembered the second hand bike someone gave me at Christmas, I can't walk very well but I bet I could ride that...I will try tomorrow.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 22:08:25 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 22:24:27 »
I'll join you too - though 3lb in two weeks is a bit optimistic. I had two poached eggs on a toasted muffin for my supper - sorry, just fancied it  :P.

Tricia

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 23:39:23 »
I have lost 7 stone since October !! still loads to lose.
I go to the gym and swim 3 times a week (was sent on a GP referal so ask your doc !! ) i now love exercising which is amazing for me to say, im doing the race for life in June which 3 months ago would have been impossible !
I had womb cancer 2 years ago and a hystorectomy and treatment followed, its taken me all this time to get myself motivated to lose the weight !
I get to the gym at 7am and get home by approx 9.30am at the latest ! thats how i make time to go, no excusses !
Food wise i have changed to a smaller plate and don't touch bread as it piles it on for me and the £5 i would have wasted at a slimming club i spend on fresh fruit ect :)
If i can do it anyone can but you need to get your head in the right frame or its a waste of time, i have many t shirts to prove that !
Good luck and keep lossing  :D

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2008, 07:22:04 »

One thing I have noticed is losing  a few pounds is just as important to some one as it is to another who wants to lose a few stone.

How right you are, Jeannine. I only have around five pounds to lose, but it is really difficult. 
I eat properly three times a day, lots of fresh fruit and veg, no processed food, exercise is gardening, housework, running around after the children etc! but don't go to a gym (no access to one here). 

The problem is that no one else in the house is overweight, and they enjoy home made cake and biscuits from time to time. When its there, the temptation to join in is too great! 

I am hoping that by supporting everyone else here in their fight, the successes (and there will be plenty) will rub off on me and I'll gain the incentive I need to lose those extra pounds!

Go for it girls!  (Notice that so far it is all us women who are trying to lose weight - what about the men?  :D)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:51 »
I think there have been a few male contributions, Lindsay; Ace, Fork, Barnowl for starters. I think I have the same problems as Barnowl: I've always been a wine drinker - we usually have a bottle with dinner .. sometimes more and I love cheese.

I normally eat quite a healthy diet, but I am a bit of a workaholic and tend to do things to excess so by dinnertime I'm really tired so either overeat, overdrink or eat the wrong things. The wrong things always seem to be quicker and easier to prepare than the right things!! Also the loneliness since Peter died has led to me overdoing booze on occasion.

So I'm happy to sign up for three pounds by 15th April. I know what I have to do: plan my day and plan my menus so that I've got everything I need in the house and I'm not too tired to prepare it.

Jeannine if you enjoy fat have you thought about Atkins? Basically you cut out the carbs. It seems to work well for some, e.g. you can't have bread or potatoes but you can have mayo with your tuna or broccoli dripping with butter?

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:43 »
If you are struggling with the last half stone, i was told muscle has memory so do something that uses different groups of muscles (eg horse riding will make you ache in places you never knew you had  ;D) and this will help shift it :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2008, 10:16:52 »
Hi Grawc, the Atkins in my opinion is a killer  and using it is playing with fire, I know many people have used it and lost weight but I know of several folks who got  very ill on it also there have so many law suits in the US for it causing problems I wouldn't touch it,also it is not Dr approved. As my problem is fat though, I f I cut fat out I can lose the weight without having to worry too much about carbs.

Planning ahead is the secret for me and eating regularly.

226.6 pounds this morning (sorry it is easier for me the US way) need to be 223.6 by the 15th April..

Breakfast was tea, 1/2 weetabix, orange juice,,,and I still feel sick!!

Plod on regardless.

Welcome to the recent players.

XX Jeannine

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2008, 12:20:28 »
I went to fat fighters last night and it was worse than I feared 11st 9lb (163 lbs), way outside my healthy BMI weight - no wonder digging took me a little longer this year. and shockingly back at the same weight when I joined WW in 1997  :o- but no more.   ;D

I rechecked my eating habits and realise I am going to have to get back into portion control and limit wine to a couple of glasses on a saturday night. Already this thread has given me inspiration and hopefully we can all do this together. Committed to the loss of 3 lbs - I will post my progress.

I took all my ww cook books out of storage and also bought a new one - so will try to post those recipies that work really well.   :)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2008, 12:57:47 »
I rechecked my eating habits and realise I am going to have to get back into portion control

that's the problem I have. my OH is built like a stick and over the years my portions have slowly grown until we're eating the same amount: he stays the same size and I get slowly bigger and bigger :(

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2008, 15:13:50 »
Please nobody even think of going on Atkins.I lost a lot on it once,felt illand put it all straight back on
Every one is different but I find I am coping by
Not eating any bread at all( I eat ryvita)1slice is too many 1loaf is not enough
Not drinking soft drinks even diet ones (brain thinks its having sugat,wants more
if you do have something you know you shouldn,t make yourself do something to work the cals off, it,ll put you off eating it again!
Eat s-l-o-w-l-e-y they reckon it takes at least 10 minuts for your brain to know your stomach is full oh no eating on the hoof do a proper meal on a plate with lots of veg
Hope this helps someone it,s what I am doing this time and it works for me
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2008, 16:30:22 »
I can echo that marg, I eat on the run all the time, if i eat at all trough the day, then again on the evening. It is bad.

Sitting at the dining table with serving dishes is far better, you tend to only take a little, if you serve in the kitchen one tend to empty the pan and then try to eat it.

It is more washing up.

and again....no Atkins diet, it is danegerous for many people.

Managed home made soup at lunchtime, just a little but feel stuffed!!

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal