Author Topic: Something Lovely I Grew For The Fisrt Time Last Year  (Read 3605 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Something Lovely I Grew For The Fisrt Time Last Year
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 12:39:18 »
American land cress - still cropping and did so all over winter along with the oriental greens (pak choi, red mustard, tatsoi, chinese cabbage and others). Will do these again as gave some really nice winter salads and also good in stir fries.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 12:48:47 »
well everything last year was first year!! But my successes were
parsnips (late direct sown, but too many ofthem and discovered my lot won't eat them  :( )
strawberries (perpetual type that gave 3 crops, lovely)
late sown yellow wax dwarf beans, got a few kilos
parsley and rocket (self seeded everywhere!!!!)
sprouts and leeks (got several meals out ofthem over the winter)
on the whole last year everything summery rotted  :-\ but the autumn crops were a success
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:39 »
like antipodes, nearly everything i grew last year was my first! caulis, lettuces, sweetcorn, marrows, purple sprouting brocolli (which is only just starting to sprout- i'm wetting myself with excitement!!) cabbages, kale, potatoes (we put them in late and only got dolly potatoes :( ) radishes, turnips!! had so much fun. i'm growing so many new things this year, licorice, sea kale, loads of tree and bush fruit, leeks, pumpkins, peas, broad beans, carrots, spring onions, parsnips...!!! can't wait!
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 14:09:16 »
A whole row of Icelandic poppies,( which are about to flower again.) Big bright bunches all summer.Two rows this year.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 18:13:29 »
Alpine Strawberries from seed - very easy and the fruits were gorgeous!! Would be wonderful for decorating puddings -- if they ever got as far as the kitchen.

Spinach Bordeaux - very quick growing and beatiful as a salad leaf - and then very good just used as spinach.

Endive from Real Seeds - leaf one - much quicker than the hearting type and fab tasting.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 14:12:44 »
Kohl Rabi - didn't like the thought, grew them for the other half.  They didn't get that big - and they were delicious.  Growing lots more this year. ;D

Celeriac but cocked it up big time - doing ti right this year.

What does Kohl Rabi taste like? Never had it.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 22:24:31 »
I tastes like brassica stem which is what it is - but that doesn't sound very appetising does it.  Tastes lovely - crunchy fresh sort of nicely cabbagy :-\ ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 22:55:42 »
Dahlias from seed - sowed a cheap packet early on, and they flowered all summer with lovely big brash colours that really brightened up the plot - smashing ;D

Parsnip 'Gladiator' - we,ve always grown nonF1 varieties on principle, but got Gladiator (F1) accidently - still digging lovely long canker free snips today  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 08:50:58 »
Sounds daft - but everything!  It was my first season so everything I grew was for the first time. Was especially impressed with the January King cabbages though - still have a few left. 
twinkletoes

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:28 »
I loved my indian summer sweetcorn last year becuase you could just eat it raw from the plant. my mouths watering at the thought! And also it was such a fab year for peas my favs were onward they just kept on giving. and were yummy.

Also and always my helichrysum flowers (ceverlastingflowers) were just gorgeous and i have lovely colourful dried bunches that got me through the winter grey.
X sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal