Author Topic: When to plant the following  (Read 979 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
When to plant the following
« on: March 29, 2008, 16:39:55 »
I have been going through my seeds and a few do not advise when best to plant outside in a greenhouse.
-coriander
-sunburst ( small flat round plate shaped squash I believe)
-Gherkins
-Red Cabbage
-one ball courgette
-mustard
-Rossa di treviso radicchio
-and papaya pear squash

Please can anyone help
Thank you

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: When to plant the following
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 16:48:36 »
Casy,
As you're just south of me, I would suggest mid April. This awful weather should change by then & the nights may be mild enough to avoid 'damping off'.
I have an unheated greenhouse & will not start summer plants until then.
Good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 18:35:29 »
I don't put courgettes/squash out until mid May.

I've got most of my leaf brassicas sown and at the 1" high seedling stage. When they're a bit bigger I'll prick them out, then pot on into 6" pots, and hopefully plant them out at the beginning of June. I should have sweetcorn, outdoor cucumber, and outdoor tomatoes to go out then as well.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:54:58 »
The coriander, cabbage and Mustard will do fine now, even up here in Derby.. the rest April for May outside.. poss even early June if there are late frosts..
 ;D
The Raddichio is best sown in July to grow in the late Summer into Winter... might bolt if sown too early...
 :-\

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 15:18:59 »
i will hijack the thread a bit: what about red cabbage? I don't have greenhouse or coldframe, just indoors outdoors. Should I sow them now in a seed tray? Or will they survive direct sowing in a seed bed?? I think they are called red jewel, they are an autumn, early winter variety
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal