Author Topic: What can't you grow?  (Read 6027 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: What can't you grow?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:57 »
can someone start a post "Something Lovely I Grew For The Fisrt Time Last Year", and cheer us all up? Can't start it meself cus there wasn't anything

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 10:29:38 »
Chinese cabbage has it's own rules, don't grow it like our cabbage, it grows best planted very late for the fall XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 10:47:35 »
It was always carrots... but cracked that so well that we still have two rows of Autumn King in the ground!!!
Now it has to be proper sized Swede and Celeriac...
 :-[

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:52 »
Nice to know I am not alone!
After 8 years of not being able to grow carrots I won last year with suggestions from this forum.
So now I broadcast sow on the top of the soil, then sprinkle with compost, and cover with fleece. Fleece stays on all the time, and I got carrots last year much to my disbelief! ;D
Sowed spring onions yet again yesterday, in modules like I do every year........maybe this will be the year of the spring onion!! ;D
At least we all persevere, and like my carrots last year, it feels great when you actually win! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2008, 11:58:27 »
Marijuana  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2008, 13:21:34 »
That's dead easy, I grew it one year, I found a tiny plant in the border at a house we had just moved into, it was so pretty and lacy, I decided to  mother it a bit. I moved it into a sunnier location,gave it some feed and water and some compost around it and pretty soon it started to grow. I was so proud of it. It was about 4 feet when my son popped  by and nearly flipped. He told me what it was!!!

He nearly flipped when I tore it to shreds and flushed it!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2008, 13:27:19 »
It ain't called weed for nothing ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2008, 14:02:03 »
I didn't say I couldn't grow it, just not allowed to.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2008, 15:39:21 »
Cant grow :  swedes bigger than a golf ball
                  cauliflower bigger than a tennis ball
                  spinach that doesnt go to seed
                  parsnips without canker
                  outdoor toms without blight

But this year we're gonna crack it ! ;D

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2008, 20:35:43 »
SBG, don't be put off by what others cannot grow. Each person's soil conditions and regions (weather) etc differ. Even across an allotment site conditions differ.
Remember, quitters never win and winners never quit.
Sow, sow, sow and who knows what you might be sucessful at growing.  ;D

Lauren  :)

I totally agree, some of the stuff people have been posting in this thread have been my biggest successes!  Spring Onions and Parsnips are one of my biggest crops! ;D

I can't grow carrots or strawberries, but am trying again this year.  I also have given up with all the Brassica's.  I grew broccoli my first year and all it did was attract bleedin' caterpillars!  Never again!
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 21:00:29 »
I can't grow spring onions.  I might copy DP's method of starting them off in modules.  I wonder why so many of us cannot grow them?  I have bought reduced ones from the supermarket and stuck them in the ground and they have grown new roots and been a great success but i would really love to be able to grow my own from seed.

I have very little success with the brassica family.  My late neighbour who had lived in the village for 60 years, gave up on them years ago. 

My carrots aren't very good unless I grow them in the greenhouse.  Parsnips get carrotfly and divided roots because of our stony soil so some are going in a large pot this year.   

My aubergines do not grow very big and peppers are non existent so this year I have taken Jeannine's advice and started them off really early.

I don't think it helps that we have gone off to France every June for 2½ weeks.  This year we are going much later in the year and will just have 1 week in the UK in June.  I might get on top of the weeds this year.   :D

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 10:32:36 »
I'm only in my first year on the plot after a trial year in the back garden in 2007 so I've not had much chance to fail time after time at anything. However, I've had three separate goes at Basil and failed each time (seedlings grew to about an inch tall then died) to the point where OH has now taken over the herbs.

Other than that my over winter spinach and onions failed but then I think that may have been as much to do with our new kittens 'playing with them' as the veg themselves.
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2008, 11:21:59 »
In a word...melons!
Trying again this year, different varieties, in a greenhouse...sigh! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2008, 12:13:25 »
Celeriac.. but am going again this year and it doesnt help that Lidl sell them for 40p but does help when waitrose sell them for £1.50

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 23:35:08 »
1st year 2007. carrots rubbish. Cauliflowers started then blew . still waiting for winter Cauliflowers to produce heads? onions small. hopefully better this year dug over beds and manured. going to put carrots in a raised bed in compost/john innes/sharp sand and cover with fleece.

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2008, 21:03:13 »
i tried sweetcorn we all love em but got no where told hubby wasn't gonna beat me so i've got about 5 packet this year, i will win....
carrotts well the kids didn't let them get big enough they picked them and washed them under the tap at lotty, and eat them, none left for us more going in this year, kids can have one lot we'll have the other. lol

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2008, 15:17:33 »
THANK YOU JEANNINE :-*

As a response to my "can't grow spinach" lament, I've received seeds of Olympia and Tygee today from her 8)

Right then! Only needs the snow and rain to disappear, the soil to warm up and then.....YIPPEE!! My failure's going to turn into success?

Many thanks again, J,

Lishka x

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2008, 21:06:43 »
i tried to grow rocket in a pot last yr and it bolted i think, it was rather, er, skinny looking... the toms i didnt "stop" so they grew small and green (but dont know the sort so couldve meant to have been small?? didnt ripen tho) and that was just in the garden, anything i turned my hand to got knocked over by the cats in the house or eaten by slugs etc in the garden, gutted!
 so weve got an allotment this yr and hoping we grow something on a wing and a prayer! so far the onion sets look promising and am hoping potatoes are bomb proof... the kids are desperate to get some carrots out of the ground :S doesnt look promising going on what u guys are saying!! i dont mind getting funny shaped carrots... my kids are 2 and 4 so itd be a huuuuge novelty for them!! fingers crossed we all do ok this yr, weathers meant to be wet again but also hot no idea what that means for the lottie?
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2008, 21:10:15 »
don't panic, loopyloulou, we all get some sort of harvest, some years we do better on certain things than on others, our squash and courgettes were lousy last year BUT
we got masses of potatoes, onions, apples, strawberries, beans, lettuce, carrots and parsnips so, if you count the good against the bad, we definitely come out on the plus side  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2008, 21:15:29 »
Hello Loops! It won't really matter if you don't grow much...the children will still have fun and you can always scrump Shirl's lottie ;D  Hope to see you over there next month -  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal