Author Topic: runner beans  (Read 1640 times)

trotty

runner beans
« on: March 28, 2008, 19:05:02 »
Hi everyone, I have just got an allotment so new to all this. I have made one huge mistake already I have planted my :( ??? runner beans seeds in pots far too early and they have germinated and are about two inches tall already !!! should I plant out and cover with fleece to protect them from frost although I live in south east so not much frost now or should I throw away and start again a little later - could do with a little advice

cheers trotty

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: runner beans
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 19:13:20 »
hiya, trotty, welcome to the site..bit early for runners i think but no doubt an expert will be along soon.. ;D

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 19:19:49 »
They don't like any frost at all.

I just leave the old roots in the ground for several years but they don't spring to live until May.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 19:37:21 »
Don't throw them away, can you get them into  bigger pots and maybe give them a little stick to climb around, I often don't put mine out till they are over a foot tall , keep them in a cool place..not frosty, just cool, that will slow them down a bit,it's a waiting game really, or if you havea huge pot plant some around the edges and give them some support, I use an obelisk, I then keep this pot in the greenhouse till the weather is really nice before it goes out,by that time they are almost flowering, we get very early beans that way.

2 things to think about, and don't worry we have all done it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 19:43:24 »
It will be at least a month before my beans go in.

Its far to cold and still a risk of frost for some time yet
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 19:50:14 »
They don't like any frost at all.

I just leave the old roots in the ground for several years but they don't spring to live until May.

So, you can grow these as perrenials?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 20:06:31 »
An iffy business - in my experience.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 00:17:14 »
I won't be sowing mine for a couple of weeks, should then be on schedule to go out in the second week in May.

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:02 »
plant in bigger pots, wait until they have 4 or more leaves on then pinch the tops out this will then or should sprout new side shoots from the base of the leaves this will slow them down a little
today i will be growin veg!!

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 13:59:59 »
If you have more beans left I would not worry about having wasted a few if they don't survive. Runner beans can produce large crops - you might have plenty with just a few plants.

So, you can grow these as perrenials?
Yes growing as perrenials works fine - saves the bother of planting seeds each year.

trotty

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 14:45:40 »
Hi everyone , thank you for your advice on my runner beans. I will try to keep them in larger pots and pinch out to hopefully slow them down and if they dont work out I will plant more at the end of April anyway. Thanks again I will let you know how I get on- please keep the advice coming !!

Em

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 20:50:44 »
I planted mine at the end of May last year, it will depend on how hot it is though this year.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal