Author Topic: when will seedlings be safe in a plastic greenhouse?  (Read 2157 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
when will seedlings be safe in a plastic greenhouse?
« on: March 27, 2008, 13:55:22 »
I'm starting to run out of room inside with all the seedlings I've got and I was wondering when I'd be able to start moving some of them into the plastic greenhouse without them dying on me...

I know it's not an exact science, but is there a rough temp I should be looking out for on the forecasts that would indicate my babys would surive the night?

Thanks... :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: when will seedlings be safe in a plastic greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 14:11:59 »
Hi
If you have tender things like peppers and tomatoes I would not keep them any lower than around 5C they propaply do not like even that low but will survive sort period of time.
Most of the perennials or other hardier veg are quite happy as long the temp is above 0.
How about investing for a just a small paraffin heater..you can achieve so much for a little money.
I place my heater on  bottom self on a staging and plants on top shelf with fleece over them during the night. The fleece will hold on to the raising warm(ish) air enough to keep even the tender plants going on during the cold night. Day time the cold temperatures are not really issue anymore..or should not!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 15:10:51 »
All brassicas and similar will be fine, although a quick covering of fleece would be welcome if it goes below 0 for any length of time... We have our Toms out in a cold (glass) greenhouse with extra fleece as we are out of room!
 ::)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 15:19:11 »
Thanks guys... How about Peas?
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 15:49:18 »
Peas should be fine even outside in the ground, they're quite hardy.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 16:45:34 »
My toms & peppers have been in my cheapo small plastic greenhouse for over a month. We're been 1 or 2 below 0 outside, and they're fine. But it is snug against the back wall which helps... It helps having a badly insulated Victorian house...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:41:38 »
I have some polystyrene boxes scrounged from our local pub which previously had salmon, broccoli or other foodstuff in them.  I have lined the bottoms with polythene, then put in a layer of capillary matting, then some different polythene that has holes in.  I have peppers, aubs, cues, okra and tomatoes in pots in these boxes and cover them over with fleece for the night.  It's amazing how well they have been growing and they seem to be well protected from the frost.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:12 »
Good insulation pauline, ive been after some of those boxes for a while!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 12:04:58 »
I found some of those boxes at a garden centre that sold fish.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:14:25 »
I have put most flower and veg seedlings out in plastic greenhouses now, and they seem fine, like Ollie I positioned them against a wall.Just off to purchase another  Plastic GH as it's cheaper by at least half than buying more shelving for the glass house. :o ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:17:26 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:13 »
I've got a small mini plastic greenhouse inside my main big greenhouse with my tender seeds in. I've got a small round paraffin heater right at the bottom of it that I light at night. That way I only heat the small GH and a gallon of paraffin has lasted me two years so far.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 13:53:38 »
Ha! just bought 4 tier staging from Wilcos. £10 I can use it in two halves on top of work bench. They have 4 tier plastic gh's for £12  :o
Someone gave me a very ancient parafin heater but I haven't used it yet. All the time the seedlings seem happy I will leave well alone.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 17:38:15 »
Thats a great price Maggie, I had a look round yesterday but found nothing suitable. I should have tried Wilcos
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 17:46:53 »
Usually first port of call for gardening requisites. Also bought an onion set and shallots  (£1 each) as the garden centre ones seemed to have done nothing much, likewise the Elephant garlic. ::)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 17:57:31 »
I got one of those daft little wheelbarrows from Lidl today. it doesn't carry much weight. 20k is the max, but then I wouldn't be able to move it if was any heavier.

And to think 10 years ago I was in landscaping. Laid turves and patios, planted trees and dug all day. Now look at me, I get a sweat on if I knit fast ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 21:58:00 »
And to think 10 years ago I was in landscaping. Laid turves and patios, planted trees and dug all day. Now look at me, I get a sweat on if I knit fast ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)
  ;D ;D ;D

Just had a look at receipt, £7.99 not £10 for staging. :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal