Author Topic: Barometer or Weather Station  (Read 909 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Barometer or Weather Station
« on: March 27, 2008, 15:28:09 »
Any thoughts on Weather Stations or Barometers, I've just sent off for a Weather Station which I hope will give me some indication to what the coming weather will be like and hope it will help in lotty planning :)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Barometer or Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 16:12:26 »
I think the weather station just tells you what you would find out if you looked out of your window. Its programme can only predict, not for-tell. Cheaper to look at the telly or find out if you have one of these locally

http://www.isleofwightweather.com/live/

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 17:09:43 »
Now that is worth paying the telly licence :)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 17:22:43 »
I have a weather station which cost quite abit and I have to sat Ace is correct. Its not really any good for predicting weather.I think its just goes on the air humidity alot of the time when it predicts rain. I mainly use it for its wireless thermometer readings and it has max-min aswell. I have to confess that I don't know anything about barometers, can anyone enlighten me?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 17:36:33 »
I'm with Ace as well!

Now here is another one in the same vein for you;

I have never quite understood why we should use a max/min thermometer.

To my mind all it tells is ........what has happened!!...........it does nothing to help you to protect anything.

For instance if I get a reading of minus something all it tells me is that was the temperature that killed off my plants.

So what good is that  ;)

An ordinary thermometer is enough because that tell me what is happening at the time I am looking at it so I can take evasive action if necessary.

What do you all think?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 18:07:28 »
I do find the min/max thermometer handy as I like building gardens using micro climates.I have a few thermometers I dot around the gardens then I can get an idea where the cold spots are. I know I could get up earlier and see for real. But I often have a few jobs on the go at the same time.

We are paying over £1000 each for some of the exotics we use. Last thing I want is a client telling crying down the phone because her plant has been hit by the frost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal