Author Topic: You don't see these very often  (Read 2811 times)

ACE

• Hectare
You don't see these very often
« on: March 26, 2008, 16:33:27 »
The first pic is rhododendron macabeanum, I have just been able to strike a cutting off this plant after trying for 2 years. I t will take a few years to get to this stage but worth the wait.

The second picture is a californian laurel that has been hidden in a thicket for a few years and has just come to light this year after I cleared the area. It took a lot of research to find out what it was but I found an old label in the rubbish when I was clearing the ground.

Both of these plants are in a very sheltered garden and I cannot remember coming across them before.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: You don't see these very often
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 18:47:25 »
I'm not usually a big fan of the  rhododendron, but that is a very classy plant. Well done for your patience Ace!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 20:32:20 »
Beautiful flowers on the first, well done. I have about six rhodo's that I have had in pots for about 10 years and are pot bound but I can't bring myself to bin them.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 20:35:46 »
am i mistaken in thinking a bay tree is a member of the laurel family

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 20:42:55 »
Why do you ask Deb?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 21:08:59 »
Laurus Nobilis, sweet bay, bay laurel, loads of names for the same plant.  I think the Greeks  used it as a type of crown. I expect the Romans did as well in their crown of laurels. Yes they are all related.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 21:12:57 »
no particular reason gazfoz just showing off that ive been reading lol  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 21:54:30 »
ACE are you going to have some lovely winding path back to the thicket with the laurel in it? It looks like an interesting setting for a different kind of garden.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 17:26:21 »
ACE, how did you strike the cutting?  I have a rhodie now in a pot that I discovered under a rampant choiysia.  It has the most beautiful cerise flowers but isn't a happy plant.  It's very leggy and sparse - basically just a circle of leaves on the end of the shoots.  I suppose it was struggling to get to the light under the choiysia.  I'd love to get a cutting going to get a healthy plant out of it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 20:09:02 »
Really you need a healthy plant to get a good result. I scraped a sliver of bark and pinned it in a pot while it was still attached to the main plant.  So really it was layering rather than rooting a cutting.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 21:34:37 »
Thanks ACE.  I think I'll have a look to see if there is a healthy shoot to try layering.  I'd really like to save it if I can - the blooms are so fantastic

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 21:39:26 »
The Romans took over the laurel crown (along with a load of other stuff) from the Greeks, so it was probably the same species.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal