Author Topic: waiting lists and plot allocations  (Read 2223 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
waiting lists and plot allocations
« on: March 30, 2008, 17:22:25 »
What is normal practice on your allotment sites? Do people automatically get offered vacant plots when their name comes to the top of the waiting list or is there an element of vetting their suitability for working the plots? I mean, in the long term interests of the whole site it might be better to give a plot to someone who has the necessary skills and experience rather than someone who thinks they want a plot but might not be able to work it and end up 6 months later with a weed infested plot that needs to be taken over by someone else. Or do you not think that should be an issue?

I'm trying to clarify my own thinking on this so would welcome feedback especially from those of you on allotment committees where you are dealing with these issues.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: waiting lists and plot allocations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 17:29:53 »
we give the next plot to the next on the waiting list..however, we do have a 3 month trial period, that way, they can walk away if it's too much and if they do nothing, we can ask them to quit, unless they have problems we have been told about..hope that helps  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 17:33:07 »
I have heard of sites that give the plots out for three months and if all is ok after that time they are allocated the plot.
I also think support for beginners is good.Helping with advice and instruction.
I think if allotment committees give up allocating weed infested ground and maybe send a working party in to get the ground into some semblance of order that would help.Not everybody has help and clearing on your own can be a daunting experience.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 17:36:00 »
we all help as much as we can, we've only 12 plots but everyone gets stuck in, we supply pallets and  weed control for paths if required, as well as advice on tap  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 17:39:40 »
Thanks Manics, that seems a sensible way of doing it. We have a number of vacant plots but some of them really require an experienced and physically strong gardener. Lots of hard work to do before there would be any chance of planting.

Betula we do give help where the plots are in a bad state, eg there is a working party next weekend to try to help clear 3 really awful plots that have been taken on and we are hiring a skip too. Where there are problems we try to put in support rather than take away the plot and we encourage the experienced gardeners to look out for the newbies.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 17:49:00 »
I saw a good idea on digging for victory.One of the elderly chaps who had loads of experience had given up his own plot and started to run a plot for newbies.
That way they were getting lots of practical experience.You know how it is .You can read and watch but there is nothing like doing it yourself to help you learn.
This chap was their teacher.

I also think half plots are a good idea :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 18:59:14 »
that's another thing, our plots are all half size anyway, two of the new people have only got 4 beds each, they're sharing a plot, only way we could give them any room at all  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 19:56:18 »
Yes we're getting a few half plots now as it gives more people a chance to get a plot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal