Author Topic: seed potatoes long sprouts!  (Read 990 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
seed potatoes long sprouts!
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:17:43 »
messed up by sicking them in a cupboard out of the way, bad move! long sprouts now, do i keep them to plant or bin them? leave the sprouts on or off? many thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: seed potatoes long sprouts!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:10 »
You can still plant them but you will knock the long shoots off doing so and they will take longer to come through... I've got some Anya that must have been frosted as they have long shoots but the rest don't... I've knocked the long ones off and am still going to plant them.
 :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: seed potatoes long sprouts!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:01 »
I had mine in the box they were delivered in. After a few weeks they were very sprouty!! But I took them out of the bag, put them in an egg carton and put them on top of teh cupboard in teh pantry where it is airy, cool and filtered light. After a couple of weeks, I found that the shoots hadn't gotten longer but they were just fatter. When I planted them I didn't have the impression that the shoots were falling off, they seemed firmly attached. MAybe this is something to try??
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal