Author Topic: Hydroponics  (Read 1084 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Hydroponics
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:16:44 »
Since my knees seem to be the only part of me aging  ;) I'd be interested to know if any of you succeeded in trying an inexpensive version of hydroponics in a greenhouse without the water pumps using the wicking matting instead.

I read some past posts on the subject- some folks strongly against it in A4A for a variety of reasons. I certainly wouldn't want to abandon my soil gardening entirely- what would summer be without posies- but was thinking if I physically cannot continue all the bending required by both the flower, fruit and vegie gardens perhaps doing some hydroponic vegies with organic fertilizers would ease the situation at some future date- I hope DISTANT.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Hydroponics
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 13:04:35 »
A lot of tomato and lettuce is raised this way, check out your local library for any books on commercial hydroponics, there are many ways of achieving your aims
rgds, tonybloke
You couldn't make it up!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 13:15:33 »
we used to be able to get hydroponic gear from police auctions in Bristol. They stopped doing it when they realised they were confiscating the same equipment again and again  :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 20:32:52 »
I did a few tomato plants in just perlite once, and fed it using a soluble plant food (inorganic). They produced fruit, but not much as I kept forgetting to water them  :-[

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 20:41:36 »
Puzzled her.Why would anybody be against it??

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 23:14:50 »
Puzzled her.Why would anybody be against it??

XX Jeannine
It is not the natural way...utilizes chemicals...electricity. There were some counter arguments to those.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:05 »
I don't think anyone is 'against it' in the sense of wanting to stop other people doing it. Some of us wouldn't use it ourselves, but that's as far as it goes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal