Author Topic: advice on my first sowings for the year.  (Read 766 times)

springbok

• Hectare
advice on my first sowings for the year.
« on: March 25, 2008, 13:45:14 »
I would like to start off seedlings for planting out.  I have plenty of plug trays and have a few questions.  Will list everything below.

Which veg can I plant in the same plug trays (not share individual plugs) but in the same 4 x 8 tray?
Which veg can I plant out with slow growers?

And any other tips folk can help me with.  I have limited space so need to get the planning right :D

I have 2 x 1m x 1m manure/compost raised beds.
4 x 1m x 1m compost only raised beds
1 x 3m x 1m raised bed (half filled with shallots/Onion sets)
1 x 3m x 1m raised bed (one row of 2ft peas in at the moment) over 3 metres.

This is the list that I would like to start off.  I will do another list similar after 6weeks of planting these.

2 little gem lettuce
8 carrot chardonay
1 basil
1 chives
1 thyme
4 italian lettuces
2 cauliflowers
4 broccolli
2 brussels
10 spring onions
2 sweet peppers
10 parsnips
8 Early nante carrots
4 beetroot
2 cucumbers
1 butternut squash
4 gemsquash  (will be big pots with trellis)
1 courgette
2 french beans

I know its small amounts compared to the lottie folk :D  But I am trying to grow just what I need for myself and 2 kiddies :D

Need help with planning LOL :D
anyone??

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: advice on my first sowings for the year.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 15:14:54 »
hmm well my advice would be to grow some of those things in pots if you can! That will save space in the beds for the things that really need it. For example your herbs,, your courgette and maybe teh sweet peppers.
For the root veg I have always believed that they are better sown straight into the ground - why not try a short row of each and not very widely spaced, just means you will need to hand weed.
Lettuce will grow with slow growers.
2 green beans won't give you much!! But beans can be squashed up quite a bit in my experience. a square metre will give you a good harvest.
Save space by planting your sprouts and broccoli and squash on the edge of the beds then they can trail/poke over the sides a bit.
Remember too that some things will not work/be eaten/be damaged so try not to be too stingy in your counting!
good luck.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 15:40:16 »
This info might help you to decide; http://tinyurl.com/yy5xkl  if not get back to us and we will take it from there.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 19:29:37 »
our french beans are going in pots this year, we did it last year and got good results and the slugs were not as much of a problem  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal