Author Topic: ALLOTMENT SHORTAGE  (Read 2464 times)

betula

• Hectare
ALLOTMENT SHORTAGE
« on: March 24, 2008, 16:31:36 »
Birmingham Post today

Jamie Oliver generation face allotment shortage
Councils were urged yesterday to make sure developers allocate land for allotments to combat a chronic shortage.
The local Government Association estimates 200,000 allotments totalling more than 11 square miles have been lost over the last thirty years and is calling on councils to force large scale urban developers to make space available for fruit and vegetable growing.
The last few years have seen an upsurge in demand for allotments,particularly among young,envirmnentally-aware professionals keen to grow organic food.
This has led to a waiting list of up to ten years in some areas theLGA said.
The association which represents more than 400 councils in England and Wales is giving Guidance,entitled growing in the community,to local authorities stressing the importance of green spaces.
Councillor Paul Bettison,chairman of the environment board said having an allotment is no longer about flat caps and thermos flasks.
Nowadays allotments are the preserve of Jamie Oliver just as much as Artur Fowler.
The last few years have seen a real upsurge in the number of people who want to get an allotment.
A whole generation of twenty somethings and young families are rolling up their sleeves and picking up atrowel.
He said Inner city areas in particular were poorly equipped  for the rise in popularity of the allotment with huge waiting lists and a shortage of plots.
Urgent action must be taken to meet the growing demand hesaid ensuring developers include space for allotments in new building projects would make a real difference.
Green spaces are the lungs of big cities and places where people can relax and get away from the hustle and bustle.

DenBee

• Acre
Re: ALLOTMENT SHORTAGE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 16:39:39 »
It's true that the age/gender demographic for allotments is changing, I reckon.  The lottie next to me is dug by a young family.  I'm a woman (last I checked  ;) ).  I'd have to say the majority of the holders on the site I'm on are probably older gentlemen, but it's changing.

I do still take a thermos round though.  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 17:02:58 »
This was in the Guardian, too. Apparently  Yorkshire has the most people waiting for a plot, so I count myself lucky.

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 17:13:07 »
At our allotment it seems that there are lot's of folks on the waiting list and we have been warned that if our plot's are not fully cultivated we will lose it.

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 17:17:15 »
Posted this yesterday under News:

This was posted on another forum, it's an article lifted from todays Guardian - there could be an even bigger demand for allotments and waiting lists on the way...
Also anybody looking for grants could find it interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/mar/22/food.gardens

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 17:22:23 »
I know I am classed as probably not being young at 40 but I feel young and I love the idea of being able to grow my own on my allotment.

There are loads of empty allotments on our site.

Opposite mine is a new family who are probably in their 30's. We also have one pitch that is being run by a community group, I saw them on the site the other day and there were at least 4 youngsters helping out.
Most of the people that have allotments on our site are in their 40's or above but having all these tv programs about home grown veg is helping bring down the age.
We need more programs like digging for victory, grow your own and gardeners world to help bring more families on the allotments.
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

arphamoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 18:58:43 »
A similar article appeared in the Telegraph on 23rd March, obviously based on the same 'feed' from the LGA. For any of you plotholders on Council sites, take the time to let the Council know about the issue and badger them until they take some notice!
For those on private plots where there is no Council involvement, ask the Council why they are not doing anything? There is such a swell of opportunity now that no self-respecting politician will ignore a 'push' in this direction, if sufficient pressure is applied.
The end game is that if you don't do what you can to protect the allotment movement, the developers will move in - there are countless examples of benign neglect which allow undeveloped plots to be sacrificed.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 17:10:51 »
Our site is full and the waiting list carries on growing - I've had at least one inquiry a week since Christmas. And most have been from women well below retirement age.

Although the oldest on the site are in their 80s (or over!), many of our plot-holders are in their 20s or 30s, often with small children in tow to 'help' them. But age, sex, class or colour don't seem to matter and kids chat to wrinklies on equal terms. That's what life's about, and that's how allotments are going to survive!

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 17:47:27 »
Our site is also full and with a waiting list of ten;  four years ago, however only just over half the plots were let but a new and enthusiastic field committee organised working parties to tidy the site and the Council ploughed long overgrown plots and these were quickly taken.
Now, whenever a ten rod plot becomes available, it is split into two five rod plots so we can reduce our waiting list.  Having only five rod plots available to newcomers has meant that they stay because its of a size fairly easily managed, taking on a ten plot plot is sometimes overwhelming and they give up;  newcomers who make a success of their five rod plots can request another five rod plot.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:05 »
Splitting big plots is a good idea; 600 square yards plus hedges is too much for many people, so we're not splitting vacant plots where the layout makes it feasible. A lot of land on the site effectively goes to waste at the moment as plotholders only cultivate part, and there's not much anyone can say about it; we're not prepared to start being unreasonably draconian.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:28:57 »
having an allotment is no longer about flat caps and thermos flasks.

OMG - call the press......for I am a woman, and I have a flat cap and a thermos flask roflmao!!! ;D ;D ;D

On a more serious note, our lottie has a two year waiting list - at least it was that a year ago and from what I can see, not one vacant plot.  We have 3 allotment sites I think in my town so we're quite lucky.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:04 »
Our local allotments have been planted with trees! 
There is a 2 year waiting list, and they are only allowing new people HALF an allotment each!
Acres and acres stand disused, but there is still a waiting list!

Funny though, i heard that a new road was going exactly where the trees are planted!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal