Author Topic: apple trees  (Read 1057 times)

mr plasma

• Half Acre
apple trees
« on: March 23, 2008, 20:39:28 »
i planted 2 apple trees last spring one is an eater the other cooker,do you think i may get an apple this year or must i wait several more years before they will fruit?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Re: apple trees
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 20:50:23 »
It depends, I got my apples after planting my trees the previous autumn.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 20:56:48 »
I think you have a good chance of an apple but I was told to remove the apples before they develop so that all nutrients etc went into the growth of the tree.This is for young trees.I am sure there will be lots of people with plenty of experience of apple trees who can tell us more :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 21:54:02 »
One factor that may affect whether you get any fruit is the question of pollination. You don't say what varieties you have or if there are other apple trees nearby. I know that Bramley, which is a cooker, needs two other apple trees which flower around the same time to pollinate it. If you don't have these, you won't get fruit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 21:58:55 »
Don't let it produce too many apples too soon, or it'll stop growing. Bramleys don't need more than one tree to pollinate them. The catch is that they produce no pollen, so they can't pollinate the pollinator. So you need the third tree to pollinate that.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 22:11:23 »
Yep..first flowering year=pick off all tiny apple starters, second flowering year= you may allow few to grow just for the taste
Your trees will need all the energy for growing strong framework for future glut..patience...
This rule has been successfull with my 13 apple trees + 7 other fruit trees ... ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 22:34:54 »
... Bramleys don't need more than one tree to pollinate them. The catch is that they produce no pollen, so they can't pollinate the pollinator. So you need the third tree to pollinate that.

I didn't realise that, sounds daft but all this time I thought there had to be a threesome, live & learn!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:34 »
well maybe my apple trees have had it then. I'll see over the next couple of years. They certainly seem to be getting bigger.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal