Author Topic: solar powered greenhouses  (Read 31710 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: solar powered greenhouses
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 13:39:47 »
Hmm.. I don't know if that pond pump would provide enough water preassure to carry the water far enough from the but.
Interesting though...I think you have a little play ahead with your equipment to get it set right. ;D

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 15:15:10 »
Hi Goodlife

The pump is only a small unit and was designed to pump water to a height of about half a meter to fill a bowl which then cascades down into the reservoir below.  The pump just circulated this water.  My intention is to have my butt close to the rear of the greenhouse and connect a hose to the tap which would be adapted down in size to suit the pump inlet.  The outlet pipe would then run round my greenhouse to the places I want to water and weep points will be cut or drilled along its length in the appropriate places.  The only issue I think is going to be restricting the flow so that even with the pump running all day it does not over water.  You never know it might just work.
Failing all that I will just have to rig up some sort of gravity/self leveling system and forget using the solar panel.

Michael

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 16:43:38 »
You'll never know..it might work..but the start with needle like hole or you might run your but empty sooner than you intended...
www.twowests.co.uk does water reservoir tank systems for greenhouses..have a look you might get some ideas from there..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 16:50:34 »
Forgot this one..www.gardensystems.co.uk...another one who stock all sorts for watering..

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 19:08:27 »
when the pump is not pumping, does a valve shut? or will water just run through it under gravity?siphon?
You couldn't make it up!

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 06:44:08 »
Hi Tony

Oops!  I did not think of that.  I will have to experiment with the height of the pump and see if it can draw water up if it is positioned higher than the water level in the butt. 

Thanks for raising the point.  More food for thought.

Michael

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:49 »
The best way to solar power anything is to use a deep cycle battery rather than power anything direct. Using the panel to charge the battery will keep it charged while your pump is not in use. It also allows you to use higher powered appliances.

I use a 110 amp leisure battery like those used in caravans.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal