Author Topic: Some of my garden birds  (Read 2180 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Some of my garden birds
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:42:23 »
I dont have a very big garden, far from it, but I have always done my best to encourage wildlife which I have done so with sucess even though I say it myself.
I now have in the region of over 17 species of birds.

Hubby took some pics this weekend, they are not of great quality as they are taken from indoors but thought I would share.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Some of my garden birds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:44:00 »
Sorry will try again

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:48:54 »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 13:58:35 »
Honeybee, yo have quite a good mix of Birds visit but I do like the Bullfinch one.  I didn't know they ate sunflower hearts.  I have noticed this past week that Pied Wagtails eat bird seed.  I have never seen that before this year.  I have them visit but to catch the insects.

I was delighted to have a pair of Bullfinches turn up on Friday, they wre eating the buds on a tree.  I remember they called on me last year on the day of My Mums funeral and yes that date is approaching again, so everytime now when I see the Bullfinch in my garden I think of Mum. 

HAPPY EASTER    ;D ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 14:26:50 »
Awww they are lovely photos Honeybee, I particularly like the robin in the snow, just like a Christmas card.   ;D

I've had my new bird feed station up for a couple of weeks now.  So far I've only seen starlings and wood pigeons but I don't care.  Like you I only have a small garden and I reckon we have to satisfied with whatever wildlife we can attract.  That said, I do hope I get my robin and blue tits visiting again soon.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 14:36:49 »
Hi Carol, yes all of the finch family love the sunflower hearts, they cant get enough of it, ive even seen the tits tuck into it briefly too which suprises me really.

I am interested to hear that the you have spotted the pied wagtails taking bird seed, we have lots of pied wagtail in the area as we are a canal/resovoir town, I see pied wagtail daily but never in my garden, pah, they dont like my offerings  ;)

I hope the bullfinfinches arrive on the given date, I know how important that is to have a sign ~ for me its snowdrops that remind me of my Mums passing, it was my last conversation with my Mum as she admired them before the unexpected happened.

Thanks Georgie, i love the robin too, told hubby he could do better next time and not get the pole in the way  ;D
We were snowed in this morning as you can probably tell!

We have lots of the tit family visiting, ie blue tits, great tits and coal tits, but they are just too quick to smile for the camera  ;D
Good luck with your visitors, they give such pleasure  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 14:40:43 »
They are lovely pictures Honeybee, thank you for showing us.
I love the Robin one my favourite little bird, i love all the birds but that is my favourite, Greenwizard, did me some brilliant photos i have them on my pinboard here so i can see them every day.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 15:45:05 »
Wonderful, thank you for sharing. This morning I was looking out the kitchen window waiting for the kettle to boil.....son wanted a cuppa.  The Goldfinches and sparrows were on the feeders and there were 2 collared doves sitting on part of the feeder and trying to reach the food!! Ground was covered in snow so no ground feed about for them. It was really funny, never seen them do that before.

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 20:11:44 »
 ;D ;D ;D What wonderful photographs Honeybee. I think the birds are fascinating to watch. I used to feed the birds (although I had cats) and was very privileged to have my bird table and feeders used on a frequent basis. Unfortunately next doors cat was a lot more ambitious than my lazy cats and used to sit in wait for any birds to feed of my table and feeders so she could pounce on them.... I decided in the end to put a stop to the feeding because it was very upsetting to see the neighbours cat kill or injure the birds. I gave all of my feeders etc to my Mum who lives nearby and I have to say its the best thing I could ever have done... the birds just flock their and she enjoys visits from many variety of birds including a couple of woodpeckers. The great thing about it is the pleasure it gives my Mum... she is now a sprightly 76 years of age and thoroughly enjoys watching the birds and their antics through her window.

The British Trust for Ornithology's Garden BirdWatch scheme has shown that the goldfinch now visits twice as many domestic gardens as it did 10 years ago.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 15:42:29 »
They have such beautiful coloration!  They must love your restaurant.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 20:01:41 »
Awwww thank you so much, I reslly do love my birdies, this morning at about 5am I counted up to 16 goldfinch.

We have cats around too aromatic, but they never seem to bother the birds at all.

Eldest son does question though, why the wildlife gets free board and lodgings and he has to pay  ;D  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal