Author Topic: Feeling quite sick - our local shool is on fire  (Read 2805 times)

DenBee

• Acre
Re: Feeling quite sick - our local shool is on fire
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 16:24:18 »
I have to admit to smiling at some of the more innocent comments below the YouTube videos along the lines of "wahey, no school next week", because I dare say at that age that would have been exactly my own response.

Actually I remember the winter when I was in first year senior school (1972).  Three day weeks, on the weeks we went in at all, because the miners' strikes caused fuel shortages.  We were over the moon.  :)

The local paper has put an item in about the fire.  According to that the library/IT suite and music rooms were undamaged.  Much better news than I expected.  Still not good, but not as bad as initially reported.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 17:15:16 by DenBee »
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

sazhig

• Half Acre
Re: Feeling quite sick - our local shool is on fire
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 16:58:41 »
How awful for everyone involved DenBee :(.

Many years ago, a couple of pupils annoyed at being given detentions (!) got drunk & burnt down a good part of my school  :(. The whole science block burnt down most of the art, CDT & home ec classrooms that were part of that block were smoke damaged and the languages staff room was badly damaged by another fire they had set  :(. Some teachers lost all of their work from the past x years & a lot of coursework was lost as well. It took a long time for the school to recover & most science classes had to be held in temporary accomodation until a new block could be built...of course the new buildings & decoration were rather swish when they were finished and the tropical frogs who were rescused from the fire seemed to have liked the heat because they started breeding straight after  ;D...but it was very upsetting, to see most of the science teachers crying at their losses was enough to make the whole school hate those who had done it  >:(

I hope the damage isn't too bad DenBee & the school recovers well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal