Author Topic: cox orange pippin  (Read 741 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
cox orange pippin
« on: March 26, 2008, 14:43:00 »
I just bought one of these from LIDL as I felt really sorry for it smothering to death in a plastic bag.

Will this survive and fruit in Glasgow? I have 5 other apple trees, Jonagold, Braeburn, Elstar, Discovery and Bloody Ploughman, all of these seem to be doing OK.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: cox orange pippin
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 15:18:28 »
I think it's the same pollination group as Discovery and Bloody Ploughman, so that's a good start. I remember our Cox's  surviving the winters in the sixties quite happily and if the others are doing ok so should the Cox.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 15:33:28 »
I think Cox are self pollinating, thats the one I will go for. Your lucky Sawfish, I could only find Jonagold when I went. But I also want a dwarfing rootstock, so I guess I might have to pay top dollar for one anyway :(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 15:42:52 »
Most info says they are not self pollinating,  but some say the latest versions are.

I expect  they may be to some extent, but most will do better with a pollinator. Just noticed that Braeburn is also meant to be a good partner...

Star, if you are buying just one tree make sure you get one clearly marked as being the self fertile variety.

There is a miniature Cox variety that is definitely self pollinating, can't recall its name.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 15:49:25 »
Oh thank you Barnowl, I will have a google. I like Braeburns too............hmm I wonder, I might get a couple in. I want to do cordons so they should have plenty of room ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal