Author Topic: Fantastic - loads of people on the plots!  (Read 3136 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Fantastic - loads of people on the plots!
« on: February 17, 2008, 20:55:59 »
I am a member of the Campion Hills Allotments in Leamington Spa (formerly called Black Lane Allotments). Over the years they have become increasingly derelict. My own plot was surrounded by scrub, small trees and brambles - all of which used to be proper allotments.

The committee decided they had to get these plots let, so organised a mechanical digger to clear the derelict plots and then ran a rotavator of the ground - result plots taken and a waiting list.

I went up today and the place was busy with people putting up sheds, chicken compounds, greenhouses and generally working on their gardens getting ready for the big plant out - amazing.

Where once, mine was the end of cultivated plots, I am now surrounded by (better than mine) well-worked gardens. Well done committee!

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
Re: Fantastic - loads of people on the plots!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 20:58:39 »
 great news

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 21:06:47 »
Great news & good, positive action by the committee. If too many plots go unattended that's when councils pounce to sell off the land. Best time to do it at this time of year. Minimum weeds and anything chopped up will mostly die with the frosts anyway.

I don't supposed they offerred to rotovate any existing members plots as a good will gesture.....

Wish my plot was rotovated when I first started :( :D :( :D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 21:16:26 »
Good news Dave and many of the new plot holders could be of benefit to this site or could benefit from this site. So spread the word about A4A.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 21:46:55 »
yippie :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 19:16:50 »
Same here Dave at Park Road Allotments in Isleworth.

We didn't do any clearing tho, just divided into 5 rod plots and waited.  There are still 3 to be let, but that's mostly down to the council.

All the others are let and are cleared and soil is being turned over - an truly amazing and motivating sight, I just hope they carry on!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 22:37:02 »
Congratulations... hope you don't attract too many of the wrong type of visitor now you are all up and running
 :-X

Alexia

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 23:06:59 »
SHARON wrote: 'Same here Dave at Park Road Allotments in Isleworth. We didn't do any clearing tho, just divided into 5 rod plots and waited.  There are still 3 to be let, but that's mostly down to the council.'

Hi! Just found this forum and interested to hear that there are 3 allotments still to rent at Park Road Allotments - I have been on the waiting list (for Park Road & Syon Park)for about 2 years because the council seems to think there aren't any vacancies. If there ARE still some spaces, then please reply and let me know how I can go about getting off the waiting list and starting to dig! I have emailed the council about it again today, but haven't heard back yet.....

Many thanks!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 23:13:35 »
Welcome Alexia,

I cant wait for SMP to get back to you! Best of luck, hope there's a plot waiting for you ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:17 »
hiya, alexia..welcome to the site..get down there and take photos of the unused ones, always helps to have photographic evidence..pester them and good luck  ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 19:33:40 »
HI Alexia

That's CIP for you!  They have been given the boot in June.  Please PM with your full name and a contact phone number.

I warn you tho, the three that are left are REALLY scary.

Why now pop over on Saturday, we are having a community payback team in to hack down the knotweed and spread some woodchip on the main path.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 20:51:49 »
Please see post on New Allotments name. This also has a link to our website.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 19:16:47 »
Just to let you know that Alexia has been in touch and has now been offered a plot by CIP and will be looking at it this weekend ;D ;D

Forgot to mention - there are still three half plots left - any one else from Isleworth been waiting ages for a plot, get in touch.

Alexia

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 19:27:38 »
Hi! I see Sharon has beaten me to it, but I just wanted to let you all know that we will soon be busy digging! ;D Had it not been for your forum (which I found when I was 'googling' to find the contact details for the council office), we would probably still be on the waiting list this time next year.

Many thanks, particularly to Sharon - I look forward to meeting you.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:24:12 »
Welcome Alexia.  It was just fate - you were meant to have that plot!  Happy digging and remember pics? 
Twinkletoes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal