Author Topic: begonia tubers  (Read 1195 times)

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
begonia tubers
« on: March 21, 2008, 18:56:02 »
I have overwintered some begonia tubers which are 4 to5 inches across. Has anyone any experience of dividing them to obtain a more manageable  size tuber? I have to exit now but will back in the a.m. ; a voice is calling from the kitchen!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: begonia tubers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 19:24:42 »
Once you get the tubers sprouting, you can cut the corms up, with sprouting growths on each segment,

Also you can take cuttings, if you have any particularly large corms.  You take the sprouting 'bit' from the corm, ideally with a bit of the base attached.  I pot them into a 50/50 mix of multipurpose compost and vermiculite, and have had very good results.

valmarg

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 22:25:43 »
I have...as soon as your tubers start to show signs of growth, cut your tubers into smaller pieces so that each of them have some of these growth buds.
Dip the cut surfaces into fungicide powder or as I do wood ash, and pot it into well draining medium eg. half compost, half vermiculate, and only half debth of the tuber.
Water around the edges of the pots so that first few weeks the compost is not wet against the cut surface.
When your plants are well on their way, plant them deeper and larger container.
Normally I cut my tubers in half...safer...but in past I have tried even in 1 inch "cubes"...not worth it ..I allways loose few...

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 13:07:34 »
Thanks "goodlife & valmarg" I will try both methods & let you know the results in due course :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal