Author Topic: Miracle Grow compost - what are the white bits?  (Read 16801 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Miracle Grow compost - what are the white bits?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 17:54:43 »
Well ACE, perhaps when you become a proper gardener you'll get the hang of it!!!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 19:06:53 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 17:22:55 »
a proper gardener

I think what floraldi meant was that he's an actual gardener, rather than a salesman working in a gardening store???

;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 21:40:50 »
Well, a thick skin & a good sense of humour are the 2 most important tools for gardening. Any gentle ribbing on here is invariably meant with the best of intentions, but you can't start a thread like this & get away without a bit of Mickey taking. You know there's no malice, don't you, floraldi?

Has there been a report back yet on the Vine Weevil harvest?!?!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 23:37:33 »
It is good stuff. I gave some to my mother, and she was amazed at how her prized geraniums and fuchsias took off.

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 11:48:08 »
any update on the results of the investigation?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 23:16:26 »
Ain't it amazing how neither floraldi or annsplot have been seen for a while. ::)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 00:26:27 »
I've just bougth a bag of vine weevil eggs and it's got all this mucky brown stuff mixed in with it. Will the vine weevil eggs still hatch or should I throw it all away?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 09:35:15 »
Ain't it amazing how neither floraldi or annsplot have been seen for a while. ::)

I hope either one would still feel welcome though - it's absolutely fine to be wrong, but you have to be able to take a joke too!

Now, as for your vine weevil eggs djbrenton, I'm afraid you may be little late for a good hatch rate. You might be able to find a local "real" gardener who could put them to use? I've heard that some manufacturers add them to compost.  ;D But you might as well throw away that brown stuff - it's no use to man nor beast.

But something far more important that's been bothering me - Why is this post in "Bargains" anyway?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 14:04:06 »
Out of interest, was there ever an update on what these egss were? Just curious...

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 21:55:25 »
And is ACE a proper gardener yet :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 22:48:39 »
And is ACE a proper gardener yet :)

When was ACE ever proper? ::)  tho gettin down and dirty is wot ACE does best (allegedly) ;D

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 14:44:08 »

Now, wouldn't you agree that any reasonably experienced gardener knows VW eggs from plant food.

Lol yeah you would!! Have you ever seen a Vine weevil egg?? They are tiny! I'd be worried if vine weevil eggs were as big as the controlled release plant food - Imagine the size of the grub and the adult!! You'd also expect an experienced gardener to have seen Osmacote before! Even if its just in the shops! Still takes a big person to admit they were wrong, think Miracle-Gro deserve an apology?? Doubt they'll hold their breath

:)

FYI

Controlled release fertilisers in Miracle-Gro compost break down from the inside, as I believe someone mentioned in a previous post, this is part of the slow-release system. The 'balls' release tiny amounts of plant food in warm weather when the plants are growing faster - when the temperature lowers and the plant growth slows down.... as does the nutrient release. So a blanced feed is given over the 6 months growing season. ( it's amazing what you learn by reading a label!)

Clever stuff!! Deserved of praise rather than pointless moaning!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 14:55:23 by MaggiePage »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal