Author Topic: Good organic potting compost  (Read 993 times)

chappy

• Half Acre
Good organic potting compost
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:12:20 »
Hi all,

I'm trying to do things as organically as possible and I tend to use the New Horizons brand of compost.

But I'm finding that the consistency is rather twiggy for use as a seed compost and those tiny roots that need to develop.

Has anyone found a really nice organic peat free alternative?

Regards,

Chappy.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Good organic potting compost
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33:41 »
I make my own.

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 14:17:30 »
I have no opinion on making your own compost for germinating seeds but Monty Don seems to have various mixtures for different purposes. My attention was diverted when he went through the composition of each. Maybe try the gardeners world website

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 15:04:27 »
The two following companies are organic and supply excellent potting composts. I have purchased from both companies and find them both superb to deal with and in my opinion I highly recommend them to you to solve your organic potting compost problem..... Please follow the links below: -

www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=60_176

www.tamarorganics.co.uk/pages/catalogue.php?status=2&cat=10&typename=COMPOSTS+%26+FERTILISERS&prod=625

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 16:15:58 »
I have sieved the peat-free stuff in the past (usually NewHorizon multi-purpose) and used the bigger bits as a mulch or dug them into the soil. Probably an expensive way to do it, but it seemed ok.

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 16:31:44 »
Thanks adeymoo.  I'll have a look on the GW site and see what Monty used.

Thanks Eristic .  Lol.  I have been trying to make my own compost for a year now but it keeps getting too wet (water working it's way up I think rather than too much green stuff) and it turns into a slug hotel and am thinking of getting rid and starting again.

Thanks aromatic.  Quite pricey but if it's a nice fine grade then maybe worth it.

Thanks Caroline, not a bad idea, that stuff isn't too expensive if you get the 3 for 2 deals on it.  Just a shame they don't do a seed specific compost.

Chappy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal