Author Topic: Cauli's  (Read 2675 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Cauli's
« on: July 16, 2004, 22:06:26 »
Just want to gloat a little.  For the first time ever I have successfully growing cauli's and they have caulis on them!  They are doing exactly what the packet said they would do, and I am chuffed!

The white ones are all quite uniform in size but I also grew purple ones called graffiti, and some are short and stocky with a lovely big cauli, and some are tall like my brocolli plants with looser smaller caulis.  So tell me, what did I do wrong?  Still edible I know, just curious.

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:Cauli's
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 00:09:34 »
If 'Graffiti' is an OP cultivar (sorry, I can't find it on google)then it is likely that you are simply experiencing genetic variation, not that you have done anything.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 06:24:02 »
Are the 'funny' ones interspersed - or all together?
If the latter - was the land there more recently dug? = Tim

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
another member of i forgot my password

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:53:24 »
- say again?? = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 14:02:04 »
There goes that avenue. I know you use modules EJ- did you direct sow or prick-out? Any other details that you can remember?

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 18:56:59 »
Got a huge cauli, but hubby says he won't eat it because he found a slug trying to eat it. He wanted to put it in the compost.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 10:58:16 »
Okay, sowed in modules, 10 plants in all.  All sown at the same time but of course, can't remember exactly when but way back at the start of spring.  They are planted in 2 rows of 5, and 5 are tall and 5 are short.  The ground was all dug at the same time and received the same treatment.  The plot has suffered with annual weeds, nettles, docks and marestail, but I have been pretty good at weeding things out as best I can.  I also earthed the stems up a little as the plants grew bigger.  I don't mind, it is just a curiosity.  If I remember to take my camera tomorrow, I shall take a snap to see if you can see what I am whittering on about.  Thanks chaps.  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 23:01:53 »
Here is a piccy of one I cut today....now to me, this looks like brocolli.  Have I muddled up my labelling, or were the cauli's not planted in the ground hard enough, causing the heads to be loose?

Several are like this, and the rest have 'proper' cauli heads coming.  I shall eat them regardless and enjoy every tasty tender mouthful!  :P

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 06:07:50 »
Warts & all!

Can't help. = Tim

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 18:58:53 »
That huge cauliflower that my husband nearly threw in the compost because a couple of slugs had been eating a small part of it - weighed in at 4lb 14oz. Got one soup being made, and another to be made later.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal