Author Topic: Manure?  (Read 833 times)

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
Manure?
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:02:46 »
I have spent the last week clearing, weeding my new allotment and was pleased to find a large pile of well rotted manure in the back corner.  I planned to use this in the now prepared soil for my veggies..........I got there on Saturday morning to find that the whole pile had gone  :(............I have looked through all my books and on the web to find a long list of alternatives and cannot decide which type to use ???.........I know that fresh manure is out of the question and some of the others say to apply a month before planting.........could somebody please tell me the which type is best I can use shortly before planting or just after?......thanks....Lisa

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Manure?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 16:19:48 »
hiya, welcome to the site, some cheeky beggars on your plots, just like ours  ;D
 we rake in chicken pellets a few days before planting or calcified seaweed, hope that helps

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 16:23:25 »
Hi Doo if you have horse stables near you, you can go and help yourself with permission if you have the transport, find the stuff thats rotted down and use that and don't forget don't use on the root beds (carrots or parsnips). As the scousers have said chicken pellets arewhat I use.  By the way what did you mean when you said the pile had gone. ?    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 17:02:16 »
Hi...........I will double check at a local farm and then if not i'll go for the chicken pellets/calcified seaweed.............thanx for replies :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal