Author Topic: veggies left in ground  (Read 933 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
veggies left in ground
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:55:34 »
Hi last year due to the flooding all of our veggies rotted in the ground, when we could get at them we pulled up what was visible, brocs, cauli etc but the spude were just mush.I ma concerned now that those rotted spuds that it was impossible to remove might have damaged the soil in some way..any ideas?

Thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

betula

• Hectare
Re: veggies left in ground
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 13:06:28 »
My potatoes rotted in the water last year.The stink was awful.I am letting that bed grass over this year.Not sure about the other veg.My instinct would be to chuck them on the compost heap but you run the risk of pests and diseases I suppose. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 13:56:34 »
I can't chuck them on the heap there was nothing to chuck, just mush and slime in the ground XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 14:03:45 »
I would just dig the beds over and let the fresh air do its job.The soil may have lost nutrients.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 15:16:13 »
I was wondering a similar thing Jeannine, our potatoes got blighted last season and altho we dug out what we could i was concerned there would be some leftover mush underground.  We have legumes in that bed this year so i guess we'll see what happens! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 19:19:08 »
Dead material left from last year will have rotted long since; there's nothing to worry about. Once the water receded, air will have got back into the soil, and the anaerobic decay which produces poisons and nasty smells will have ceased. I'd be worried about blighted spuds surviving to infect this year's crop, so dig over and remove with care! Put them in a dalek or something where they don't have a chance to grow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal