Author Topic: where to put the greenhouse??  (Read 2309 times)

Teena

• Not So New ...
where to put the greenhouse??
« on: March 21, 2008, 17:49:58 »
we have not had one on this plot before and we have been gifted a greenhouse but cant decide on where to put it? our last plot had one already on so we just used it --- till it was 'nicked'.
are there rules to follow about which direction it should be? or where to put the door end? or is it just wherever we feel like?
our plot is very windy and roughly on east/west lie
any help would be appreciated as its coming to us on monday and we need to get it sorted asap
thanks teena

Vortex

• Acre
Re: where to put the greenhouse??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 18:07:07 »
Put it on the south side of the plot - so it won't shade any of your plot (which is of course rather mean to everybody else) with the door facing away from the prevailing wind (if possible)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 19:12:41 »
Put it on the south side of the plot - so it won't shade any of your plot (which is of course rather mean to everybody else) with the door facing away from the prevailing wind (if possible)

Surely you mean the North side of the plot as the sun comes up in the East and goes down in the West.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 20:26:16 »
Surely you mean the North side of the plot as the sun comes up in the East and goes down in the West.

I put my shed as far back on the north side of my plot as possible so as not to cast shade on any growing area... Except the chap on the plot behind me that is  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 22:33:44 »
Just put it where you want and make sure you bolt it down

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:17:32 »
I have two 'houses. The warmest one I put up against the shed(brick) wall so that teh bricks acts as a heat sink.

In practice I have succesful 'houses in any position but the hotter ones seem to be set so that they can get as much sun as possible.

Anchor the thing down with metals stales going down into the soil and then secured to either the greenhouse or a wooden base on which the 'house has been screwed.

Good luck.

Teena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 13:23:05 »
 :D Thaks for the advice
got some slabs for a base    -    just hope the weathers ok monday

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 13:36:15 »
With the winds we are getting now i think its not so much of where you are going to put it its more like how are you going to keep it.
If you are going to put up an aluminium greenhouse then do it properly from the begging, it will save you heartache later.
Spend a little bit of dish dosh and get some breeze blocks, sand and cement and build your base up at least two courses. Not only screw the base of the greenhouse to the blocks  bracket it as well. Doing it this way you are gaining extra height so therefor more shelving space.
If you think that's a bit expensive to do it that way consider the cost of replacing glass compared to the price of the blocks, sand and cement.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 16:33:54 »
We only have a small one but we spent days studying where the sun shone for the longest part of the day - when it was out that is ::)  Also, we put it on a concrete base which my husband made.

Turns out we did pick the hottest bit of the garden and had to use the chalky stuff to shade the glass two years ago.  It's great if you can have some heat in it, ours is an unheated one  and in the winter I am always dashing in and out to cover things up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal