Author Topic: 8 weeks and tomatos still not germinating.  (Read 7436 times)

springbok

• Hectare
8 weeks and tomatos still not germinating.
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:54 »
My tomatos were sown beginning of Feb and still no sign of germination.  Only Gardeners delight, from 3 seeds I have 2 little seedlings appearing.

They are kept in a glass greenhouse and it never gets below 0 degrees in there.  The San Marino, Tigrella and cherry types have still not germinated at all.  ??? ???

Do I need to resow them all? 

My first attempt at growing tomatos, so not sure why this has happened.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
Re: 8 weeks and tomatos still not germinating.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:33 »
Hi, try bringing them indoors near to some heat, our onions and parsley were having trouble on the window sill, east facing, just a couple of days on a table next to the boiler and they all started. it's worth a go, if not you might have to resow them

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:51 »
as indicated above, lack of heat is responsible. Early Feb is too early in what sounds like an unheated greenhouse?

We put ours in the airing cupboard though you have to look at them a couple of time a day and move them into the light (window sill in our case) as soon as the first seedling shows sign of coming through. This can be within 7 days.

Still plenty of time .. we will not sow ours until the end of the month though they will eventually end up growing out of doors.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:26:15 »
I would agree, they wont germinante in the greenhouse. I tried this too.

Best to keep them inside

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:37:31 »
Different seeds need different temperatures to initiate germination. Most tomatoes like at least 20degC.

TeeGee has provided a very useful chart which gives timings and germination temperatures. Timings will vary a bit depending on where you live but germination temperatures are pretty consistent for most varieties of a particular vegetable (or fruit in the case of tomatoes).

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/Fruit%20&%20Veg%20planner.htm

Once they are up they are much more temperature tolerant - though I suspect 0 degC would make them pretty unhappy.

Dig one out to see if it has rotted - it's been quite cool so you may be all right and just have to bring them in to a warm spot indoors.

PS Some chillies need  25degC plus to get going

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:41:16 by Barnowl »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:49:57 »
Tomato,s realy need a night time temprature of 50 deg to 55 deg Far to germinate. They should germinate within 14 days
The below pictures are of a plastic doenut package the bottom has some black pollytene in, cut from a bin liner to elliminate the light from the roots. Put the tomato seeds, in cover with quarter inch of soil close the lid and put it in the airing cupboard and check it regularly. If you do not have an airing cupboard cover it with news paper to keep out the light and place it in the warmest place in the house during the day then the warmest place at night. As soon as the plant poke their heads out open the lid.  Pot them on as soon as they are ready to handle.
Hope this is of help to all who need help

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:59:37 »
The year before last my tomatoes took aaaaages to germinate.  They only finally took off when I put them on top of the radiator cover in the conservatory.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

paddy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 13:08:43 »
After reading the article in gardening which? last year about seed companies and some seed not germinating you do wonder is it something we do as gardeners or are we just being ripped off and what has been done about the findings.

However i agree it sounds a bit cold for them and as my inspirational grandad taught me

if at first you don't succeed try try again!

Good luck

Paddy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 17:39:34 »
On the other hand............miss germination by one day & you've got this.

They germinated in 3 days beside the AGA - Gardener's Delight - & I thought it a bit cold to put them into the cold greenhouse. WRONG!

So we now have to resow!!

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 18:09:27 »
Well dont laugh, but had a bit of a surprise in the greenhouse this afternoon.

My red pear tomato's have germinated 2 out of the 3 seeds I planted. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have brought all the sown seeds in and the seedlings as suggested, have to see what happens :)

Thanks for all your help .. AGAIN.. 1st time growing things... notes put in my  notebook :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 18:20:46 »
Tim, I had exactly the same problem with my G.Delight- two days in the heated propagator and they were shouting for help!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 20:14:52 »
With Tomato,s and Cucumbers you have to check them morning and night. This morning i only had one Cucumber just poking its head through, at teatime i had this.  As soon as the the top leaf has developed they will be potted on

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 20:26:31 by davyw1 »

DAVY

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 20:15:41 »
Tim, can you not repot them into something deeper?  I've had quite a few go like that but I transplanted them deep into compost and they seem to have survived.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 20:47:54 »
Yes, I've done the same.The little plantlets look fairly sturdy now, and are happy in the non heated greenhouse. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:10 »
The two on the left Tomato,s popped thro this morning so the rest wont be far behind. I will now leave the top of the propergator of so the don,t get drawn

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:14 »
these are in the unheated poly, covered with fleece when cold  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:30:08 »
Germinated without heat, Manic? And when?

Pauline - not worth the hassle to my mind. I've re-sown.

PS And WHY are some photos large still??

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 10:07:28 »
8 days!!! on the windowsill in my boy's room where there is lots of light.
They are Marmande, Harzfeuer and Garden Pearl.
The sweet peppers sown with them are a bit more shy though. The leeks sown on the same day are on the cooler kitchen windowsill and they are also up and running after 7 days.
Don't have a green house or anything, once they are potted on and the nicer weather comes, they go on the sheltered balcony in the day and come in at night. I plant them outdoors in May. But of course it is warmer here than in the UK so tomatoes are not really greenhouse plants.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 13:08:51 »
Germinated without heat, Manic? And when?

PS And WHY are some photos large still??

28/1 sowed in jiffy 7's, Tim..tigerella , on the windowsill over a radiator in a windowsill propagator..got a few gardener's delight in there now, couple of supersteak..sort of heat  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 17:26:41 »
Looking good!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal