Author Topic: Minimum age limit for plotholders.....?  (Read 6820 times)

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
Re: Minimum age limit for plotholders.....?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:51 »
Deb,
Could you put your OWN name on the waiting list and let the plot be his when you got it?
Then there wouldn`t be any problem with age limits etc.
Good luck anyway.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 10:46:15 »
There are good people and bad of every age. We've had middle-aged or elderly plotholders behaving in ways that my girls wouldn't tolerate for a moment.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 15:45:29 »
Deb,
Could you put your OWN name on the waiting list and let the plot be his when you got it?
Then there wouldn`t be any problem with age limits etc.
Good luck anyway.

I've already been on the waiting list for longer than it took to get my first plot, if I get a full sized one for my second he will of course be able to have a chunk of it (he already has his own bit of my current one!). He really wants his own one, he's been on about it for over a year and has remained keen helping me do my plot.  He also watches The Allotment DVD, and there is a lad about the same age as him who has his own plot in Bristol somewhere, so it obviously does get sorted somehow sometimes. OH is thinking of putting his name down for him now, so that would solve the problem!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 15:53:25 »
old bird-

i can see why you would be nervous about young people on your plot but i think that if these young people had an allotmnet of their own- or responsibility for part for an allotment- they would be much, much less likely to steal or damage from the site.
i'm sure it would instill some respect into them and would be all for it if it were suggested on our site in slough.
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 14:48:38 »
Rosie

I absolutely agree with you and as I have already said it will not be the kids that work the plot that will cause the problem! 

I like kids on the whole!  Nothing wrong with them - on the whole!  I am not anti kids - I totally agree with encouraging them to grow stuff etc.  I just don't think that an allotment is the place!

In Minehead we have a School Farm where there are greenhouses, a few animals ie sheep and turkeys for christmas.  There is never any trouble as the children are always supervised and they have a pride that you can't imagine when they take home something that has either been grown or they have had a hand in.

So, please don't misunderstand me, my only concern is when the kids are unaccompanied possibly in the evening when they are "bored" - showing what they do to their "mates" and that is potentially where the trouble lies in the "mates" who do not value what the nice kids are doing and seeing something tasty for free - when no adults are around.

Old Bird
 ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 16:53:57 »
I like kids as well, but couldn't eat a whole one so he's safe Deb!!
 :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 12:09:33 »
I don't think the sort of kid that would be keen on having an allotment would cause any trouble, or invite around any troublesome 'friends'.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal