Author Topic: Why does the EU regulate which types of seeds can be sold?  (Read 2784 times)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Why does the EU regulate which types of seeds can be sold?
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:31 »
....what do you think should be done differently?
That's a very difficult question to answer, if I believed I knew the answer I would of already given it.

Are you saying that pesticide manufacturers shouldn't have to conduct health and safety and environmental checks on their products - particularly ones that other countries have already ruled are unsafe? Or do you think the checks should be paid for by the taxpayer (ie done by the EU rather than the company) instead?
Products have to be tested & it is the manufacturer who should pay for any required tests as they are the ones who are telling us the products are safe to use & will benefit financially from the sales.
There are numerous products which meet the EU requirements which I am not willing to use despite them being proved safe. While it is very rare for me to resort to using an insecticide derris dust is the only currently available product I have felt comfortable using, primarily because it is based on natural ingredients.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Why does the EU regulate which types of seeds can be sold?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:37 »
re testing fees: I formerly worked on an agricultural chemicals and pharmaceuticals site where testing was done trying to find new safe products. Quite an eye opener seeing how many people have to be paid to keep the greenhouses, keep the animals and fish tanks going, do the planting and crop care- and those are just the bottom rung workers. Then the scientists and all their lab workers. Then those of us who were in health and safety, and the personnel people, the legal people....on and on.  All that to get a few new products on the market every couple years. The number of chemicals that fail the basic tests eg harming fish are astounding.

So that is why a company won't put research money into producing for a limited market.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal